Upper eyelid retraction surgery?

How specific is the surgery/what are the risks of blindess or any other risks? And is it possible for only the lateral to the pupil part of the eyelid be brought done, or will the whole lid be lowered?

Upper eyelid surgery complications

thank you for the question.   Improving upper eyelid retraction generally releases the whole upper eyelid and not just one area plus there is discrete scar tissue  and that lateral area for some reason.  As for the risks, blindness is technically a risk but it's exceedingly rare. It's so rare that I've never seen it in my practice nor have I heard of it happening to anyone I know. So the risks are blindness, injury to the eye, failure of the surgery,  infection, I need for further surgery and that sort of thing. Bruising swelling or longer than average healing is not a complication but I an expectation. 

Chase Lay MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid retraction surgery?

Essentially there is no risk of blindness. It is possible for limiting as much as possible the lowering of the lateral aspect of the lid to be brought down.

Fred Suess, MD

Upper eyelid retraction surgery?

It depends on the cause of upper eyelid retraction, its severity, the eyelid contour, the anatomy, and goals. See following link for more details.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid retraction surgery

There are a few different techniques to lower an upper eyelid that is retracted. One can weaken the muscle (levator) in the upper eyelid and check the position of the eyelid intra-operatively. Another technique is to place a spacer (foreign material like porcine heart lining) within the levator muscle to lengthen the eyelid. The first approach can be done from the front or underside of the eyelid; the second is done from the front. The result of any eyelid retraction surgery with be a lowering down of the entire upper eyelid edge. If there is a lot of lateral flare, or peaking more laterally, a small tarsorrhaphy (sewing the outermost edges of the eyelids together) can help improve the contour even more. Risks of infection are low, typically less than 0.5%. Risk of blindness is exceedingly low. Greater risks are over correction (making the eyelid too low) or under correction (not making it low enough). Make sure to see an experienced oculoplastic surgeon. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon