What type of deep chemical peels can hispanics get? Would like a series for acne scars ... any doctors with experience?

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Acne Scars- Chemical Peel + Microneedling with PRP

Thank you for your question. Peels today are safer for darker skin types. Depending on the acne scars, we usually recommend a series of 3-6 peels spaced 4 weeks apart. Some excellent choices that are safe for darker skin types are ZO 3 Step Stimulation Peel, VI Peel and RevePeel. You might considering adding in microneedling with PRP which is excellent for acne scars. I would alternate peels with microneedling. Hope this helps! Dr Faraz

Peels for acne scars

Without pictures its hard to say.  That being said, hispanic skin has a propensity for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Also, you live in california, and as such, the sun is a part of your daily life. In my practice I always pre-treat with hydroquinone and a light retin A topical product for 6 weeks prior to the peel.  Depending on the severity of the acne scarring you can do multiple treatments with light peels such as VI peels or Obagi peels, or you can do a combination peel to get you medium depth results.  There is larger downtime, and you have to take care of the skin immediately after much more, but with pre-treatment it makes things very manegeable.  I've had great success doing combination jessner/20-25% TCA peel on hispanic skin.  Again, that depends heavily on your pigmentation, history, daily routine with sun exposure, etc.  
I hope some of this helps.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vi Peel with Precision

Without photos it is difficulty to give a complete recommendation. Performed by experienced estheticians an option is Vi Peel with Precision, requiring a series of 3-5 peels spaced ever 4 weeks for acne scars. A hydroquinone cream may be recommend prior to peels. The best option is to consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Hispanic skin has a higher risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and should only be treated by experienced providers. Best of luck! Dr. G   

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon