Tampons after labiaplasty

I had labiaplasty done 3 days ago I just got my period Today. I want to know if I can use tampons ? Will my menstrual flow cause any problems with healing since it has only been 3 days from surgery ?

Post-op question

I agree with delaying tampon insertion following labiaplasty.  I recommend for patients to wait one month to lower risk of healing complications as early healing takes place.

Tampons after labiaplasty ?

Thank you for your question. This should be discussed with your operative surgeon. I, personally, tell patients no insertion of tampons or sex for 4-6 weeks. Use a pad in the underwear. The menstrual flow will not cause you any healing problems. I have my patients use a squirt bottle to clean themselves and they are instructed to gently dab and not wipe for two weeks. Good luck with your healing.

Tampons after labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing your question.  Because of the swelling in your tissues, and the delicate nature of the surgical repair, I would recommend using pads for your current period and avoid tampons until your next.  This will avoid any potential healing disruption.  Hope this helps.

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. Now, with your menstrual cycle started this soon it is possible that a tampon would irritate or disrupt the sutures. If you want to confirm in regards to your specific procedure and case it is best to contact your surgeon for the definite answer. Good luck!

Tampons after labiaplasty

First menses after LP pads only! OK to use tampons for the SECOND menses after your surgery.
Michael P Goodman MDDavis, CA, USA

When recovering from labiaplasty

you are not to insert anything into your vagina and this includes tampons.  You risk tearing your incisions apart so use pads until your next period at which time it should be safe to use tampons.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tampons use after labioplasty

Thank you for your question. I recommend on not using tampons for about 4-5wk after surgery to avoid suture disruption. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Nothing goes into the vagina for six weeks after a labiaplasty

You may use maxi pads and panty shields, but nothing gets inserted into the vagina for the first six weeks after labiaplasty. The scars are weak and will tear easily even if you think you're being careful and are a special person. Menses have no effect on healing.

How long to use tampons after labiaplasty?

This is a very common question, particularly with younger women.  In general, I recommend about 4 weeks before inserting any tampons.  This is only after a visit with your surgeon confirms that you have healed adequately to tolerate the tampon.  If there is any question that there is delayed healing, delay the use of tampons until you are fully healed.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

No Tampons

Congratulations on having your surgery and hopefully you are healing well and quickly.I would NOT recommend use of a tampon at this point in your recovery.  This will cause pulling and pressure on the sutures which is not advised at this point.I would carefully review the post op instructions given by your physician so that you can maximize your healing and outcome.