Are strong TCA peels okay for hispanic skin?

TCA Peels and Hispanic Skin

I find that low level lasers, microneedling/PRP, and lighter peels do better than TCA peels for hispanic skin but they can be used if done by an expert in skin care/dermatology.  Best, Dr. Emer.

There are chemical peels available for all skin types.

Hispanic skin does great with medium TCA chem peels but may need more than 1 for best results. Most patients get 1-3 peels and are happy they did.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA peels

Thank you for your question yreutishi223. Chemical peels are used to enhance the face. TCA is a commonly performed peel and the strength of the peel is proportional to the concentration of TCA. When I used to routinely perform such peels I would start my patients with darker skin with low concentrations such as 10%. If there were no problems I would apply a 20% solution the next time and 30% after that. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Fractionate laser might be better option

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately deep peels like a 35% TCA do have the risk of permanent hypo/hyperpigmentation associated with them, especially in patients with darker skin types. Depending on what you're trying to have treated, fractionated lasers are able to treat most skin issues with little to no risk of hypopigmentation. Make sure to find someone with a lot of experience and talk to them about your treatment options. Best of luck!~Dr. Sieber