I need to get a revision rhinoplasty in the near future; won't the shield tip graft be stuck to the skin?

I need to get a revision rhinoplasty in the near future. It will be an open rhinoplasty but I have a shield tip graft. I am nervous... after the incision is made and you need to lift the nose skin up... wont the shield tip graft be stuck to the skin or just wont the whole process ruin the shielf tip graft that was placed and disrupt it. A surgeon that has had experience with this that could explain and give some insight would be greatly appreciated!

Revision Rhinoplasty

If you proceed with an experienced board certified specialist in revision rhinoplasty, you should only have to worry about conveying the results you seek and let your surgeon figure out how to deliver the results.  With shield grafts, the skin can be dissected off of the underlying graft, so this should not be a concern.  The graft can also be reused.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Addressing Shield Graft During Revision Rhinoplasty

It is normally possible to dissect the shield graft away from the overlying nasal tip skin during revision rhinoplasty. 

The shield graft can be left in place if needed. It is usually secured in place with sutures and scar tissue.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

I need to get a revision rhinoplasty in the near future

You are correct that during an open rhinoplasty the skin needs to be dissected off of the shield graft. The shield  graft is encased in scar tissue, and is usually sewn down to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish making the necessary incisions on the inside of the nose which would leave the shield graft untouched if you're trying to keep it. Revision rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely and have realistic expectations