I am schedule for my mommy makeover for April 1. Do I need to loss weight? I am 5.5 and wt 200 lbs

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

You should have a normal BMI before surgery

Before any surgery, patients ideally should fall into the normal BMI range (18.5 – 24.9). Your BMI currently stands higher than that, based on the height and weight given in your question. Not only does being overweight increase some of the health risks associated with surgery, but body contouring in particular will likely deliver much better results in those who are not overweight. A mommy makeover won’t help you lose weight, and instead should accentuate your body in ways that diet and exercise cannot, such as improving the appearance of stretched-out skin or increasing breast size.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Do I need to lose weight?

The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy.

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Yes

You need to get within 15-20% of your ideal body weight to obtain the best result you can. The result will be better, the complication rates lower, and the risk of anesthesia will decrease as well.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

I am scheduled for my mommy makeover for April 1. Do I need to loss weight? I am 5.5 and wt 200 lbs.

It always pays to get one's weight down prior to any cosmetic surgery including a mommy makeover.  However, I would avoid radical weight reduction schemes right before a surgery.  Try to get on a reasonable diet and exercise program that you can maintain indefinitely even after your mommy makeover.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before mommy makeover

You would definitely benefit from weight loss prior to your surgery. You will be at a lower risk for complications (infection, blood clots ,wound healing issues) if you have your surgery at a lower weight. Your cosmetic outcome will likely be better as well. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon since you have about six weeks before your procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Weight loss

I would recommend it but if it difficult for you and this is your steady and consistent weight then I recommend that you go ahead and have your procedure because this is your norm

I am scheduled for my mommy makeover for April 1. Do I need to lose weight? I am 5.5 and wt 200 lbs

Weight loss would probably improve the result, but there is no way to tell without pictures or an exam and understanding your goals and medical history.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at patient reviews as well as before and after photos on that surgeon's website.

Weight loss is advisable but not necessary prior to mommy makeover.

It would be ideal for all patients to be at their best body weight before elective body contouring surgery. Uncommonly this is the case in many patients do well after mommy makeover even with high BMI.

Weight loss before mommy makeover?

This is a common question from my patients wanting mommy makeover surgery.   If the person is actively losing weight I recommend waiting until they achieve their goal weight, because the outcome will likely be better.  That stated, it can be difficult to maintain an ideal body weight.  If your plastic surgeon is satisfied with your overall health and does not feel that your current weight will adversely affect your outcome, it may not be essential to lose weight prior to surgery.  This is an important issue to discuss with your surgeon.