Are there any risks of getting pregnant after a tummy tuck besides possibly "ruining" your results? (photo)

Hi Doctors... I got my breast aug and lift but still very self conscious about my midsection. I am very active but my midsection will never be the same unless I get a tummy tuck. I have one child and I am not completely certain if I will have another child in the future. I do want to get my TT soon - but what are the risks if I were to get pregnant down the line? Are there any risks involved? Thank you in advance.

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

There are no health risks to you or your baby if you decide to become pregnant after having had a tummy tuck. Only the cosmetic issue of potentially loose skin, which may or may not require another revisional surgery.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

There are no problems to the child or you if you were to get pregnant after the procedure.Your abdominal scar may widen and the muscle laxity may return. The worst case scenario is the potential need to revise the tummy tuck depending on the amount of weight you gain and the impact it has on your abdomen.As you can see from the posts, ideally you would do the procedure after you were done having children. This is a decision only you can make and your board certified plastic surgeon will consult you on the pros and cons moving forward.Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for you question. I can only speak from my experience over 20 years in plastic surgery practice, I have had a number of patients who have had uneventful pregnancies after tummy tuck procedures. As you have suggested, there are often adjustments and sometimes repeat abdominoplasty, depending upon the degree of change after pregnancy.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Will pregnancy ruin TT Results?

Thank you for your question. Getting pregnant after a tummy tuck is safe. I have seen this occur several times in my practice. The pregnancies progressed normally and safely and had healthy normal births (both C-section)Most,  if not all Plastic Surgeons, would recommend having completed your family before having a tummy tuck. This primarily due to the expense and the risk of creating more loose skin and abdominal wall laxity with the pregnancy.In my professional opinion, you look great right now! Hold off on having a tummy tuck until you are certain there are no more children in your future. When you do decide to have a tummy tuck, you can expect a very nice result.Best wishes,

Are there any risks of getting pregnant after a tummy tuck besides possibly "ruining" your results?

Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.   Robert Singer, MD  FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. The obvious main concern is wasting all the money to get a tummy tuck and then ruining the end result. On top of that, if you have muscle tightening with the tummy tuck as your belly grows you will be very uncomfortable. I would strongly suggest if there is a possibility of another pregnancy to wait until after to have the tummy tuck. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

Hello. Thank you for sharing your concerns. There are no risks for you and your child if you decide to become pregnant after a tummy tuck. The main issue would be potentially having loose skin and having another revisional surgery. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Getting pregnant after Tummy Tuck

The main thing with getting a tummy tuck and having any more children is that you will stretch out your results (so it will be a potential waste of money). If you think you might want more children then I would wait until you have finished having children.  best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD