Is Restylane or Voluma better for treating tear troughs? Should I get more?

6 months ago, I got Voluma placed below my tear troughs. My doctor suggested Voluma because it lasts longer than Restylane. He also said I would need multiple syringes of Restylane, which would end up costing the same as 1 syringe of Voluma. My eye bags still do not look the way I was hoping for them to look--the change was very subtle. Should I go back to my plastic surgeon and ask for more Voluma or Restylane? How many syringes does it typically take to get the desired appearance? Thank you!

Tear Trough Injections with Belotero, Restylane, Volbella

Tear trough injections are an art and the best way to inject is a small amount of product and to use a thinner based product like those outlined above.  Voluma is fantastic for the mid face but too think in the eye area and will cause too much swelling.  Please consult an expert in cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Tear troughs

For treating tear troughs, I personally find that Restylane or Volbella are the best to soften the shadowing and lines around the eyes. Voluma can be used, however it can be quite thick and needs to be injected at the deepest level to avoid showing underneath the skin. Voluma is good to volumize the cheek and lift hollow areas, but to really target the line that forms on the skin, Volbella and Restylane would be my top choices. It is important to have an in-office examination to determine which single or combination of fillers would be best to treat your tear troughs.  Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

I prefer Restylane for tear trough correction.  Precise placement is critical.  I also prefer to use as little volume as possible.

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags -- Restylane or Belotero, Laser C02/Erbium Resurfacing, Microneedling, Viva/Intensif, Fraxel

Dark circles often need layering of fillers, I do voluma deeper and belotero superficially for great results with minimal swelling.  Combine with lasers, microneedling/PRP, and skin care and you can get amazing outcomes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Treatment of Treating Tear Troughs

Thank you for sharing your question. You should have comprehensive evaluation performed in person by an Oculoplastic Surgeon to determine what the issue is. Restylane is usually the best filler for tear troughs.  Good luck,

Under eyes

Voluma is too thick of a product for the area under the eyes.  Volbella, belotero, or restylane (my personal preference) have inherent qualities within the product that make it a much better product for the under eye area (the scope of which is to extensive for this forum).  During consultation, your injector should be able to tell you how many treatments it may take to reach a desired outcome.  Also, sometimes injections can only get you so far, and that has to do with the position of your midface, etc.  Again, all these should be discussed with your injector.  It's not unusual for some patients to require treatments a few weeks apart to reach the perfect outcome.  I will always talk patients into "slow and steady" to get the GREAT result, rather than try to swing for the fence on the first visit.  Long story short, go back to your doc and see what else can be done.  Best of luck! I hope this helps! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane or Voluma for tear trough

For the vast majority of people, Restylane is better for tear troughs than Voluma. Voluma is not formulated for the thin-skinned areas under the eyes. 

The number of syringes required to correct your hollows entirely depends on your appearance and varies from person to person. I have some patients requiring 1 syringe and some requiring 4 to fill the under-eyes and cheeks. 

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon