Why is my nose hump so much bigger? Is it safe to have a revision 3-4 months post-op? (Photo)

After my hump reduction surgery, I felt my nose with my finger before the bandages went on and I said to the doctor that I could feel that the hump was still there. I was right-I looked literally exactly the same as before. I had the surgery in August, now almost 3 months later not only is the bump still there, but now it's BIGGER (left before, right after). The doctor said he under-corrected (ill say!)and that he would do a revision in November. Is this safe to do? What do you think went wrong?

Choose a Different Surgeon for Revision

Thanks for your question. I'm so sorry to hear that you've gotten unfavorable results. Your photos do indeed tell he story, and I imagine you're very frustrated. Typically, it's recommended to wait about 1 year after your primary surgery before pursuing a revision. This gives the structures enough time to heal, and it affords the surgeon performing your revision a clearer understanding of how your results have settled. It may be in your best interest to consider a different surgeon for your revision to avoid the risk of "under-correction" the second time around. Best of luck to you. 

Revision rhinoplasty

Generally speaking, a revision rhinoplasty would be recommended not any earlier than 1 year after the first rhinoplasty.  This is because you are waiting for all the swelling to go down, which can take up to 1 year.  At that point, you would be able to see the final results before making decisions to do any additional surgery.  With that being said, however, there can be some exceptions.  If you know that the revision involves removing bone or cartilage which won't change with swelling subsiding, then it may be reasonable to do that.  However, this may be difficult since you may be dealing with the swelling from the first surgery at the time of the second surgery.  If you are unsure about your surgeon, I recommend that you see another surgeon for a second opinion.  Good luck~

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump Still there after Rhinoplasty

Dear Irish Rose, Most surgeons would not revise a rhinoplasty that soon after the original procedure. It appears from the before and after photographs that the surgeon reduced the radix area and did not address the cartilaginous hump. A copy of the operative report would be helpful to see if the surgeon used any grafts in the primary procedure. I would suggest seeking a secondary opinion with a copy of your operative report. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Bigger Hump

Looking carefully at the photos, it appears he rasped down the bone (your radix - where the bridge meets the forehead - is lower relative to your eyelashes) but did not resect the necessary cartilaginous components to your bridge.  You don't need to get the operative report, as it is typically inaccurate.  But you should strongly consider going elsewhere; revision rhinoplasty is more difficult than primary, and your current surgeon seems to be incompetent.  It sounds harsh, and he may be the nicest, most honest person, and possibly awesome at other surgeries.  But the reality is evident here. It is in your best interest in the end. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Early postoperative problems after rhinoplasty

Certainly convey your concerns to your surgeon.

However, no responsible surgeon will reoperate on you three months postoperatively until they see the final result, so you may as well wait the full six months and then reassess.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Revision

Thank you for the question and photos but to answer it accurately would require an examination and review of your operative note.  So get your records and go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD