Is it normal for a doctor to draw a rectangle in the jaw line for botox with the purple marker? (photos)

I've never seen it before with previous botox injections but a doctor I used for the first time drew a rectangle around the jaw line for me. Is this normal?

It is just personal preference whether or not a doctor will mark their injection spots with marker.

It is just personal preference whether or not a doctor will mark their injection spots with marker. Some prefer to mark their locations, while others don’t. Ultimately, what matters most are your results. Make sure to always see a board-certified dermatologist in order to get the best results.

Dallas Dermatologist

Normal for a doctor to draw a rectangle in the jaw line for botox with the purple marker?

Hi, I have used Botox (Xeomin and Disport) for 30 years.  When using Botox to decrease the size of the Masseter muscle, I might draw the enlarged section of the muscle for precise Botox placement.  We tend to avoid using surgical markers as these can be difficult to remove.  The decision to mark is just one of the things that various MD's use or don't use as part of their Botox treatment.  Marking in and of itself has no real effect on the outcome.

Hope this helps.

Botox on Jawline and Using Marking Pen

Often people will mark an area prior to injection.  I suggest speaking to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and surgical markers

I often mark the facial anatomy of patients before injecting them. It is a common practice and usually leads to careful and thoughtful injections. Best, Dr. Green

Some docs draw, some don't

It has nothing to do with your final outcome. Sometimes when laying back, anatomy changes and docs want to draw on you while sitting up. Others are able to tell where to inject based on experience. It is all a personal preference of the doc.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Is it normal for doctor to draw a rectangle in the jaw line for botox with the purple marker?

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon has their different techniques and some like to mark out the areas for themselves as well as to show the patient what their plan is.  As long as it wasn't too inconvenient for you, it shouldn't have caused any harm.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD

Marking patients prior to injections

Some physicians mark patients prior to injections of neuromodulators and fillers.  It may be their preference for one reason or another.  If you ever have questions about something that is done during an appointment, don't be afraid to ask questions.  It is always better to be informed.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

How narrow can you make nose bridge with cartilage grafts?

Hi and thanks for your question. Each doctor has his/her own methods for marking a patient so I wouldn't focus on that. Just focus on the outcome or result. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

This is not a problem. This is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

I routinely use a series of dots (with a white eyeliner) drawn around the target area (the masseter muscles) for Botox injections to reduce the prominence of the jawline.

This is for your safety! Your injector, rather than "winging it," is marking off the proper and safe areas to inject so as to avoid certain nerves and blood vessels. This is only prudent, in my view!

William E. Shuell, MD
Phoenix OB/GYN

Botox and marking

Hi there,

It sounds like the doctor marked the area he or she wanted to target. If you were having injections in the jaw to narrow your jaw he might have marked the chewing muscle he wanted to thin. The marking by itself does not raise any concern for me. Was there something about the marking that made you uncomfortable? 

The purple surgical markers should come off with a little alcohol although sometimes it can take a few passes of the alcohol wipes. 

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD ubxvxybyrexfbbwrybzfey
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon