Nerve damage if nose bone is shaven?

I am looking to get a rhinoplasty where my nasal bone is shaven down some, is there a more increased risk of getting nerve damage with a procedure like this?

Nerve "damage"

With any surgery, including rhinoplasty, there is a possibility of TEMPORARY numbness, since tiny nerve branches are cut during the procedure.  These changes do not last, however, as the nerves regrow and recover quickly.  This is not an actual risk of the surgery, since it is inevitable and limited.  It is not increased with "shaving down" the nasal bones, which is a usual part of modern rhinoplasty.

CONCERNS OF NERVE DAMAGE FROM RHINOPLASTY

Dear maroselloanna44, I have been performing extensive rhinoplasty, septoplasty and septorhinoplasty procedures for more then 30 years and I have never had a patient with nerve damage to their nose. There is no increased risk when reducing the dorsal hump or performing osteotomies and nerve damage is not a common complication in rhinoplasty surgery. Seek some consultations with experts in the field and they will discuss with you the anatomy of the nose and the techniques they will use during your procedure and what the risks and complications are. See examples of before and afters in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty procedure to shave down the dorsal hump

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish making all the changes required to the nose by placing all of the incisions on the inside of the.  There is less swelling, and numbness after a closed rhinoplasty than an open rhinoplasty,  due to the fact that there is less incisions.  Sensory  and motor nerves do not run in the nasal bones, therefore there is usually no nerve damage

NASAL HUMP REMOVAL

When a dorsal nasal hump is removed, either in the cartilaginous or bone part, a nerve damage it is not a concern. There are not important nerves on that area. But during the surgery, it is important to preserve the nasal mucosa intact under the nasal bones and upper lateral cartilages, also septal cartilage, to preserve the nasal mucosa function and to minimize bleeding during the surgery.

Nerve Damage if Nasal Bones Shaven Down

There is very little risk of permanent nerve damage if fullness of the nasal bones is reduced. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist  to discuss your options.

Risk of nerve damage from shaving of nasal bones

No, there is very little risk of nerve damage with this procedure. You may have temporary numbness of the skin overlying and the sensation often returns within a few weeks.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD