In appropriate hands, can a strong TCA peel be done on hispanic skin?

Type IV skin is not recommended for phenol peeling but I had wanted to try a combination of TCA and jessner's solution layered at 35%.. idk at what proportions this would be. I just wanted to know if this is possible? I would not be doing this myself but have seen results of some who have done strong TCA peels but not many physicians advertise them.. My theory is the relative downtime is a turn off to most.

Peel with caution in darker skin types

Yes, with a lower concentration a mix of Jessners and TCA can be safely performed- I go upto 25-30%, however the chances of PIH or skin darkening is still there. With the event of fractional lasers, Fraxel and Picosure FOCUS (ideal of darker skin), I tend to perform less peels now a days. Below a YOUTUBE video on DIY safe TCA peels. All the bestDr Davin Lim. Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Peels do very well , but need to be used in caution with darker skin types. I suggest seeing an expert, a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in peels and combination treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Monheit peel

Thank you for your question yreutishi223. Chemical peels are used to enhance the face. The Monheit peel is the combination of Jessner solution followed by TCA, usually 35%. This is a medium depth peel. With the variety of laser technology available I no longer perform such peels. You are correct, many people do not have long recovery times. Depending on the concern a variety of laser treatments can be performed. For example IPL can be used for discolorations, fractional resurfacing for wrinkles and scars, and Nd:YAG or infrared laser treatments for pores. For my patients with darker skin types I recommend a skin care regiment with topical products such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, and vitamin C for several weeks before the treatment. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Deep peels not great for darker skin types

Great question. The problem with a higher concentration TCA peel is that it performs similar to a phenol peel. Both of these types of peels have the potential risk of permanent hypo pigmentation. Some patients with dark skin are also at risk of hyperpigmentation. Depending on what you're trying to have treated, a fractional Erbium laser might be the way to go. It will treat areas without causing hypopigmentation. Best of luck!~Dr. Sieber