Gynecomastia recovery time? (Photo)

I'm 16 years old and have gynecomastia type one (only puffy nipples) since 12. I'm going to do a surgery next year and i want to know the recovery time, i don't go to the gym but i play soccer, for how long i will not be able to play it? This isn't me in the photo but my case is very similar.

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Healing and Recovery

Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. 
Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Your gynecomastia

16 is on the young side so be sure you see a gynecomastia surgeon.  Recovery may take a few weeks. Thus, you may have to hold off on soccer for about 3 weeks or more to be sure.  After your surgery, frequent follow ups will determine the best time to return to work.  

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia recovery time?

I appreciate your question.

No strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks is best. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast  surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Gynecomastia recovery time?

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the post. As a gynecomastia specialist I spend a lot of time with patients talking about recovery. Allowing your body to heal after surgery is very important to the overall outcome of the surgery. I typically do not allow my patients to perform any strenuous activity for at least 4 weeks. At that time I see them in the office and see how they are recovering. I allow all my patients to resume physical activity and sports by 6 weeks.

So, my advice to you is that when you are scheduling your surgery, have that 4-6 week period in mind when it comes to your soccer schedule.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Thank you for the question and for contact sports a safe period would be 4 to 6 weeks

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Unilateral gynecomastia California, CA

If you have your gynecomastia for 4 years it is there to stay.Recovery time as far as playing  soccer varies from 4-6 weeks.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, the photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Wait until you are at least 17, because the condition may go away on its own! Recovery is 1-2 weeks.  Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Of course it's up to your own doctor but the general rule of thumb for something like this is about 4 to 6 weeks. When you go back to soccer I would strongly advise keeping your compression garment on for another month or two. We do a lot of these and recently saw two patients who did intense upper body workouts several months after the surgery and developed delayed hematomas. You might want to consider avoiding things like chin ups or lat pulldowns which stretch the skin on the chest and may cause tears of the fibers that are healing. Good luck with the surgery I'm sure you'll do well.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

You will need to discuss this with your surgeon.  For contact sports, the healing time is typically 2 to 4 weeks.

John Burns, MD

Gynecomastia recovery time?

Thank you for the question and picture. Generally speaking, surgical correction of gynecomastia is a very well-tolerated procedure with minimal associated discomfort. I ask my patients to stay away from playing soccer for at least 4 to 6 weeks. This is especially true if there is the potential for "rough play" ( for example  an opponent's elbow  landing into the  patient's chest area).  remember that the testing of a soccer ball may also be quite "sensitive" until you are fully healed. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.