Genioplasty or Chin Implant for my short chin? (photos)

I have a short chin and it makes my face look disportional. Do you recommend genioplasty or chin implant for my chin? Will chin implant feel uncomfortable? I'm afraid I can feel it in my chin and it might move if I put pressure on it. What is the best chin implant? I've read that chin implants can make your chin deteriorate away. Is this true?

Chin augmentation?

Based on these very limited photos you seem to be a good candidate for chin augmentation. Both methods, genioplasty and chin implant would create improvement in your case. Selection of the surgical technique may be a question of preference based on individual experience and technique of the surgeon. 

You should seek a consultation with  two plastic surgeons; one who prefers genioplasty and other who prefers chin implant to hear about benefits of each technique in your particular case. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Dear Always, Chin augmentation is a very rewarding procedure for patients like yourself who have a weak chin. A chin implant will bring balance to your profile as well as your overall facial aesthetics. In patients who do not have any occlusion of their teeth or (bite) concerns then the simplest way to augment the chin is with an implant versus genioplasty surgery. Insignificant bone loss can occur over the years however patients chins do not "deteriorate." I have been performing chin augmentation for over thirty years and bone loss in not a concern with the procedure. I would suggest having imaging performed during your consultation to show you the proposed changes augmentation would allow. See the link below and the video above to see how rewarding this procedure can be for young ladies like yourself. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Augmentation

You have mild horizontal chin deficiency that can be successfully treated by either a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty. There are advantages and disadvantages with either chin augmentation method. A good chin implant style and size that is well placed will work well. Chin implant often develop some mild settling into the bone over time but this should not be confused with bone deterioration or bone loss.

Geniolasty or Chin Implant?

In patients like you I recommend a chin implant because is is an easier less complicated procedure. Once healing is complete you will not feel the implant; significant trauma that could break your jaw will be necessary to move the implant. Insignificant bone loss will occur but your chin will not "deteriorate away".

Genioplasty or Chin Implant for my short chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Genioplasty vs chin implant

Great question!  Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.  I prefer chin implants because they are simple to perform, downtime is minimal, pain is minimal, complications are low, and have good lasting results.  If patient do not like it, it can always be removed without any long term issues.  You are somewhat correct in that chin implants are known to create some bony loss in the area of placement, but the chin should not deteriorate and cause any functional problems.  Sliding genioplasty is a more significant and involved procedure where the bony portion of the chin is fractured and advanced using plates and screws to hold the new position.  Recovery is more significant, with a lot more pain, and more downtime.  If you don't like the results, then you would have to undergo another surgery for correction.  However, the results are great without much long term complications.  So in the end, It all depends on your goals and what type of recovery you are looking for.  The best recommendation can be provided with a consultation in person so that a physical exam can be performed and your goals reviewed.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Roger Tsai, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Short chin

We perform chin implants exclusively which is a relatively simple procedure with excellent results and low complication rate. When placed under the periosteum, they do not move and feel very natural. Bone loss is clinically not important, your chin will not "deteriorate away". We use 5 different types of implants from Implantech depending on what effect we are trying to achieve.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Short chin

The sliding genioplasty allows 3D control of the chin/ as well as better flattening out the area under the chin. The implant in the chin area can put pressure on the underlying bone and cause some bone loss and change in position of the implant. Talk to a Maxillofacial Surgeon who can look at an Xray and help you find the right choice.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant procedure for weak and recessive chin profile

A chin implant procedure can accomplish making the chin more projecting, and wider  and improve the recessive and weak chin profile.  Chin implants are performed under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes.  A sliding genioplasty procedure is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay and is much more extensive and expensive.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are usually placed through small incisions underneath the chin.  In our practice, we have been using Implantech Mittleman pre-jowl chin implants  for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below