Genioplasty or Chin Implant for My Short Chin? (photos)

Do you recommend genioplasty of chin implant for my short chin? I'm afraid chin implant might feel uncomfortable. Plus I'll be getting jaw surgery reduction in the future.

Genioplasty or Chin Implant for My Short Chin?

If the only problem is a "weak" chin a chin implant makes more sense. But if you are planning to undergo jaw surgery in the near future then wait and have the genioplasty at one sitting.

Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.   A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  Patients typically aren't bothered by the "feel" of the soft, silastic chin implants.

Hope this helps.

CHIN AUGMENTATION OR GENIOPLASTY

Dear always, Having genioplasty or chin augmentation and then having jaw surgery reduction are counter productive to each other. I suggest you seek some consultations with experts in the field and have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes and understand the difference of the two procedures. In short, genioplasty is typically performed when patients have issues with their bite and if the patient only has a weak chin then augmentation is the preferred method due to a quick recovery, reduced fee and excellent results. See examples of chin augmentation in the video above and link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant candidate?

Why would someone get a chin implant and then plan on getting jaw reduction in the future? A full set of photographs and an in-person examination are required due to the fact that chin implants and the mandible are both three-dimensional structures.