Fourth day after labiaplasty. Does it look normal? (Photo)

It's been my 4th day after labiaplasty. I want to know if it looks normal ? Im afraid that my doctor did a bad job ? Or it just looks horrible from the swelling, iam currently in my period ?

Labiaplasty healing

can be distressing, even more so when the trim method has been chosen for you.  There are pros and cons to each technique and the trim method produces the knobby, lumpy look that you have.  It should improve with healing and resolution of swelling but if it doesn't clear completely, you should be able to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and revisions offered under the written policy for revisions.  With healing things will get better but if issues persist, bring it to the attention of your surgeon.

Fourth day after labiaplasty. Does it look normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current appearance has caused you concern.  As you mentioned with the degree of swelling present to your tissues it is difficult to determine the anatomy of the area after your trim labiaplasty.  This is not uncommon 4 days after surgery.  I know waiting is difficult but allow yourself a few more weeks of healing before assessing your results and try to refrain from pulling on the tissue for photographs as this stress the sutures that are holding you skin edges together.  

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty.  This is my wheelhouse and is a very niche procedure that I perform daily. Its quite normal for your labia to be so swollen that it completely distorts the end result. Be sure to communicate your concerns with your surgeon and to stay on top of your follow up care.

John G. Hunter, MD

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for swelling as well. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that means traveling.  Best of luck.     
Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty looks real weird at 4 days post-op!!

The 4th day after labiaplasty can be crazy swollen, sometimes especially at the sites of sutures under the skin. Yes- I agree- even for myself, an experienced LP surgeon, it looks a bit weird, but in my experience- voila!- it seems to calm down and radically change week-by-week and then at week 6-12 begins looking 'real fine.
But ask your surgeon! Send us photos if things are problematical at week 6th. Be of good faith: USUALLY all looks well. Nothing to do anyway at this juncture but to think good thoughts and care for yourself!
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

After labiaplasty, you can expect swelling, ecchymosis and a change in the way the vagina appears, especially in the initial phases of healing.  These are all normal and to be expected and should continue to improve with time.  The best way to proceed is to give the area time to heal and continue scheduled follow up with your surgeon.  If you are concerned or having any issues, contact your surgeon for sooner evaluation.  

You just had a labiaplasty: welcome to Frankenstein Week

The first week of healing after labiaplasty is the worst as far as appearance goes. Everything is swollen and even a great labiaplasty might look the same as a botched labiaplasty. At this stage your only concerns should be keeping the area clean, keeping pressure off it, and checking for infection, increasing swelling or scar separations. Judge the appearance at 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry this is causing anxiety and discomfort.   Although swelling post labiaplasty is acceptable and very common and I often do not like to give a clinical opinion on how it is going to look this early on.  I am a little concerned about your procedure and suspect you might need a revision down the road.  Only thing to do at this point is carefully follow all post op instruction.  Make sure you have made your surgeon aware of your concerns and follow up with them regularly.Keep us posted on your recovery and best of luck.