Would doctors recommend having abdominal liposuction before or after a hysterectomy?

My plastic surgeon believes before will be best and follow the hysterectomy two weeks after. He believes doing it after will create more discomfort. The hysterectomy will be laparoscopic with 4 small incisions around the pelvic area and the uterus and fibroid removed vaginally. I've gotten several surgeon opinions and all believe lipo is a better option than a mini tummy tuck in my case. Would appreciate other opinions to make a better decision. Thanks.

Liposuction, VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring After Hysterectomy

First please take care of your medical needs and get the hysterectomy. After you heal, you can explore different liposuction alternatives to treat your abdomen and sculpt your body with VASER Hi Def lip or Liposculpture. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Abdominal liposuction, hysterectomy, timing of surgery

Thanks for the query. It all depends on the urgency of hysterectomy. If the hysterectomy is to be done soon, then it is better to get over it and three months later once all is settled well, a liposuction can be planned. If the hysterectomy date is undecided by the gynecologist and not in the immediate near future, then a liposuction procedure can be done after discussing with the gynecologist. However I would not advice doing both together as post operatively it is difficult to pinpoint the problem if one arises. Haven't seen your pictures, so cannot comment if liposuction or tummy tuck should be the choice.Best wishes,Dr Alexander

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

It is reasonable to have the liposuction after the hysterectomy. Since abdominal liposuction is an out -patient procedure. You can have it done once you have fully recovered from the hysterectomy.

Fred Suess, MD

Liposuction timing with hysterectomy

Thank you for your question. When planning two surgeries in the same area, priority should be placed on patient safety and medical necessity. I always prefer that the medically necessary procedure be performed at least 3-6 months prior to elective cosmetic procedure to ensure there are no complications and the body has time to heal and resolve any inflammation/swelling before the elective procedure for the best cosmetic outcome. An exception to this is if both procedures can be coordinated at the same time and still be effective. In this case, it would seem possible if both the plastic surgeon and laparoscopic surgeon communicate with each other and are agreeable to the same treatment plan. This would also reduce your overall downtime and total time under general anesthesia. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

If the logistics work out it would be easy to do both procedures at the same time. Otherwise it's best to separate the two by several weeks. I would generally recommend doing the procedure that is medically necessary first.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction - before or after hysterectomy

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.'
  • I agree with your surgeon that liposuction should not closely follow your hysterectomy.
  • Why can't the two procedures be done at the same time?
  • If your gynecologist agrees and they operate at the same hospitals, easiest is to do them together.
  • If not, generally the medically required surgery is done first -
  • Your gynecologist should be involved in the timing of your surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS