Doctor admitted fault, said I can have revision as early as this weekend 2 months PO closed rhinoplasty. Is this safe? (Photos)

I complained to my surgeon about lack of results almost two months post and I got a gushing apology where he said that he realises he was way too conservative wth the hump removal. He said I can come in for a revision as soon as I want. Is it safe to go back in so soon after the initial surgery? Also, my nose looked mostly straight for about one day when my nose was still swollen, and the hump came back the next morning hard as bone. What went wrong? The pic is before, after (swelling), and now.

Dear Irish Rose, I would suggest waiting six months for any dorsal revision as you may have some swelling that is still present under the periosteum. Tip revision requires one year. Keep in mind that it is best that your surgeon faulted on the side of conservative care versus over reducing the dorsal hump. As this can be easily addressed with a revision when the proper recovery time has lapsed. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Revision rhinoplasty procedure.

The tip of the nose should not be touched for at least one year before electing to undergo A revision rhinoplasty procedure. When there is an isolated small bump present along the bridge line, this can be addressed at 6 to 8 months after the primary rhinoplasty. Make sure that your surgeon has extensive experience with rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty procedures. 

Revision rhinoplasty

2 months is generally too early for a revision, even if just the bridge.  I would wait until 6 months.  Many times, there is considerable swelling under the periosteum (lining of the bone) that can initially mimic a retained hump.  In many cases, applying silicone scar strips to the dorsum will reduce the swelling satisfactorily over 3-4 months.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Doctor admitted fault, said I can have revision as early as this weekend 2 months PO closed rhinoplasty. Is this safe?

Dear Irish Rose

Revision surgery risks and timing vary by the part of the nose being revised. For example, revising the dorsum, as in your case, can be done earlier than a tip revision. In my view, it is safe to have the revision early however, the predictability of the result is reduced. In my view, be patient, wait 6 months and then proceed with revision. This will allow your dorsum to fully heal and all edema will resolve. In addition, you tip swelling will also be mostly resolved. what if you fix the dorsum perfectly, then 6 months later once tip swelling is gone, you are unhappy with the tip? Wait till the entire nose is settled. Then have one revision and be done.

Look for an experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon