CoolSculpting for inner and outer thighs

I was told that cool sculpting at the thigh area should be avoided which may cause damage to nerve or blood vessels if exposed to low temperatures since the vascular system is more at the surface in this area than in other common areas for fat removal like abdomen where it's further deep inside. Also, only flat plates or applicators can be used here especially at the outer thighs where fat cannot be pulled or sucked easily. I did not understand much of all this?!

CoolSculpting safe for inner and outer thighs

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. CoolSculpting now has an applicator for thighs.  CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will be able to tell you of the different options, (CoolSculpting, Liposuction, Direct excision, etc.).

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting is usually great for the inner and outer thighs. If you are interested, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. Coolsculpting is a very effective treatment modality for both the inner and outer thighs. See another practice that frequently performs this procedure to get a second opinion.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting is safe!

Coolsculpting is a very safe treatment for the inner and outer thighs.  I routinely treat patients on their thighs with no complications whatsoever beyond the normal post treatment symptoms.  After the post treatment symptoms of general soreness and tingling wear off in approximately 2 weeks you can expect to experience a boost in confidence and satisfaction as the excess fat cells leave your body.  I suggest making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who is trained in Coolsculpting as well as liposuction.  That expert opinion is what you will want to have while making your decision.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for inner and outer thi

I suggest you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that has experience with liposuction and also performs coolsculpting. You will get the best evaluation based on your specific needs and objectives. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is commonly and safely done for fat reduction in inner and outer thighs ( saddle bags)

In my practice we have been safely and frequently performing fat reduction with CoolSculpting with the CoolFit applicator for the inner thigh and the CoolSmooth for the outer thigh, or saddlebag.  The upgraded CoolSmooth performs the treatment in less time than the original applicator software allowed.  Many patients have undergone such treatment with great results with these FDA-cleared applicators.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting absolutely works safely for inner an outer thighs

I can see that the information you have been seeing is confusing. The upper inner thigh and the outside thigh bulges can absolutely be effectively treated with CoolSculpting. In fact, there are CoolSculpting adapters made specifically for those spots. Any bulge in those areas can be treated. Make sure you see a practitioner who has alot of experience with CoolSculpting to ensure you get the best treatment design for your body shape and your goals. CoolSculpting rocks in my plastic surgical opinion

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for inner and outer thighs

The inner and outer thigh areas can be treated safely, if patients are good candidates after a solid evaluation to evaluate the anatomy.  It is important that the treatment applicators fit the goal areas well, in order to avoid a step off.  An experienced practice knows how to evaluate the tissue, fat and anatomy for the best outcome. The outer thigh is a flat plate treatment so it is a slightly longer treatment than the inner thigh that is a one hour suction treatment.  Sometimes these areas take two treatments for the best results. Although other practices can do a nice job, I think a plastic surgery practice is skilled in evaluating tissue and fat for liposuction or other surgery. It has been a natural transition for our practice to do effective Coolsculpting. 

CoolSculpting Inner and Outer Thighs

Sounds like you were given some misinformation. CoolSculpting of both the inner and outer thighs is very safe and effective in the appropriate candidates. The temperatures used are not cold enough to damage the nerves, blood vessels or the skin. Flat applicators are used on the outer thighs, and a special suction based applicator is used on the inner thighs. Please make sure you find an experienced CoolSculpting physician to do your treatments. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting and the thighs

In the hands of an experienced Dermatologist, CoolSculpting is very safe for the inner and outer thighs.  In fact, this is one of the most common areas treated with CoolSculpting.  I would find a Dermatologist near you who does this procedure frequently to ensure you get excellent results with your treatments.  For most patients, it will take 60-90 days to fully appreciate the cosmetic improvement after the procedure is done.  Many patients will require more than one treatment.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon