Chin Implant or Genioplasty - My chin is short. I want a longer and pointier chin. (photo)

Will chin implant be better than genioplasty? What are the disadvantages of a chin implant? Will it wear off my chin in later years? What techniques and kinds of chin implants do you recommend? I was thinking that I don't need chin implant and that maybe facial lipo might help with my chin. What do you think is best?

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Implant Questions

Dear always, A proper set of photographs are needed to determine your candidacy to address your concerns. I can say that if you do not have any issues with your bite then you would avoid a genioplasty and have chin augmentation if you have a receding chin. Sometimes a chin will appear weak when there is to much fullness in the lower cheek area and this can be addressed with buccal fat pad removal. A consultation or further photographs would be necessary. If you are uncomfortable to post photos in this format then feel free to send them to my website listed below for further expert opinion. See an example of buccal fat pad removal seven days post op on the video above.  Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant

There are a wide variety of sizes and shapes of chin implants. The result should be permanent, but is potentially easily reversed or modified. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant or Genioplasty - My chin is short.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Liposuction won't create the proper chin projection provided by a chin implant.

Hope this helps.