For Breast reduction surgery, what would be the recommended size for me to be reduced to? And which type of surgery? (photo)

Currently I am Rib cage is 28 inches & cup size FF. Here are pictures of me, my breasts can fluctuate in sizes up or down one cup size, especially every month for 10 days before my period, which is beyond annoying. I do extreme sports and I'm sick of my boobs and having to where a bikini top, then a sports bra, then a vest on top of that, I can hardly breathe after all the armor is on. Is there any computer program where one can experiment with different sizes?

Breast Reduction in Melbourne, Florida

When considering breast reduction surgery, I highly recommended you focus on what is proportionate to you and your frame rather than a particular cup size.  Since cup sizes are not consistent and vary from one brand of bra to the next, they are not a reliable end point.  In addition, the type of breast reduction recommended will vary as you discuss your goals, pre- and postop considerations, and various options with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  I would recommend an in-person consult for this purpose so that you can be most informed regarding your options and most satisfied later regarding the results from your breast reduction surgery.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Achieving a specific cup size after a reduction

is really difficult to predict.  In my practice, you can tell me to be aggressive, do my normal job, or resect only the minimum to quality for insurance coverage if applicable.  If you are paying for this yourself, you would be asked to tell me just how much tissue you wanted removed and I would do that.  Then revisions can always be done to fine tune your outcome.  Best wishes in getting what you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction

Cup sizes are impossible to determine based on implants added or breast tissue removed. What you want is a pretty and durable result.  You may benefit from discussing the amount of breast tissue to be removed in percentage points, e.g. 25%, 30%, 35% reduction of total breast volume. 

Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in cosmetic breast surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What size is best for breast reduction?

Thank you for your question and you could benefit from a breast reduction surgery.  I would not focus on a cup size but on what your best proportion would be.  There a several techniques that could be done and I would discuss this with you surgeon and I am not aware of any computer programs that could show you what you would look like.  You need to talk to a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through this process and explain your options and results to you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

For Breast reduction surgery, what would be the recommended size for me to be reduced to? And which type of surgery?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.   “Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.