Can I still have my brachioplasty with a short arm cast on? (Photos)

I was in a car accident recently and my doctor put me in a short arm cast for my scaphoid bone. It was not broken from the xray but he wanted to take aggressive measures. I still have yet to go to my pre-op with my plastic surgeon. However, I will still have my cast on. I'm aware that there will be swelling but will my short arm cast affect the surgery? Has there ever had any unusual cases such as this? I really don't want to reschedule.

Surgery with a cast on

Sorry to hear about your accident, we would advise postponing surgery, if you get swelling down your arm your cast might be too tight it's not worth the risk.

Better to wait on the brachioplasty...

I am sorry to hear about the trauma you have experienced.  Certainly best to postpone elective surgery;  no need to risk the potential downsides associated with predictable swelling.  Best wishes.

Brachioplasty while in short arm cast

Safety should be the primary issue. As much as I know you don't want to delay surgery, I would not be comfortable operating on you with the cast on because of the post-operative swelling that occurs.

Adam Lokeh, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can I still have my brachioplasty with a short arm cast on?

This is a question you will have to ask the doctor you have chosen for the surgery as he is responsible for your safety. I personally would delay the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Short Cast and Brachioplasty Surgery

As your hand and forearm can swell after brachioplasty, I recommend to avoid any possible complications, waiting until the cast is removed before having surgery on your upper arm.  For same reason (post op swelling) we always recommend the removal of rings and bracelets from fingers and wrists prior to surgery. Please consult with your plastic and orthopedic surgeon. 

Bryan Michelow, MD, FACS
Beachwood Plastic Surgeon

SAC before brachioplasty?

Wait.  Reschedule the surgery.  This is too unpredictable in terms of the swelling. The case can be constricting and if you are dealing with another trauma then you should give you body a chance to recover.  It sounds tempting to go ahead with the surgery but don't do it.  Sorry for the bearing of the bad news.  Good luck.
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon