Will your boobs get bigger after they "fluff"?

I just got a BA it has been about a week and I feel like the swelling has gone down and they have gotten smaller, I heard they will fluff and get a little bigger is that true?

Size doesn't increase as you continue to heal

following augmentation.  Your upper pole fullness goes down and you get more fullness in your lower pole.  Volume doesn't change.  Try not to worry about it and focus on how much better you are and how much better you clothes will fit on you because you cannot really change anything at this point in your recovery.  Focus on healing and positive energy.  If you end up being smaller than what you agreed to with your surgeon, you should discuss it when your post-op photos are taken.  If you chose the implants, focus on the benefits you will gain from having them and enjoy them.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate.  You will not lose any volume but the way your implant sits on your chest wall will change, and can result in different ‘fills’ to your bra Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast "Fluffing" after Breast Augmentation

Congrats on having your procedure!If you have smooth surface silicone implants, it is typical that implants settle and drop into the lower portion of the implant pocket within a few months.  For some patients, it can happen more quickly.   Much of the drop depends on the tightness of your pocket, the elasticity of the skin, and how quickly your breast soften from the early inflammation and healing.
When the implant sits high, you appear to be smaller because the volume of your implant is not completely positioned in the breast.  Some of the volume sits above where it looks best.  As the implant drops, the breast "fluffs" because the volume enhances the true breast region rather than sitting too high.  Most patients feel that they look fuller when this occurs.   Hope this helps!   Best wishesl

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with, regardless of the specific cup size achieved.

Will change for sure

Thanks for your question. As they "fluff" the breasts will look bigger in most patients. There's no need to worry about the swelling going away and concentrate on ways to get your breast to fluff appropriately. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

"Drop and fluff"

First, congratulations on your surgery and making it through the first week of healing!

Your implants will of course not get "bigger" per se, but we observe with most patients that when the breast implants stretch out the tissues and skin around the breast pocket and start to "settle" or "drop" the implant will then have a lower position on the chest - and also forward into the breast pocket - instead of sitting high up on the chest like they do the first couple of weeks post operation. This settling into the breast pocket creates a more natural and "fuller" look. Typically when someone mentions the "fluff" they are referring to the breast appearing fuller and slightly larger due to the more natural position of the implants.

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD