Big Nose/Nose Asymmetry. (photos)

I am an African American woman with a big shapeless nose. On top of that, I have a really bad nostril asymmetry. This has bothered me for so long. I have ignored it because I am so scared to get a rhinoplasty as I don't want a botched nose job. However, as I have gotten older my insecurities about my nose have gotten worse. I often try to hide it with make up. I want to know if this can be fixed to get a smaller and more defined nose with better symmetry. Thanks.

African American Rhinoplasty

Hi,

The best way to visualize potential results from a rhinoplasty is get computer imaging performed by several surgeons that perform African American Rhinoplasty. You should also look at the surgeons and before and afters and try to find one that has results you really like. Its imperitive to find a good surgeon that does African American rhinoplasty routinely as this will avoid revision surgery in the future. Nostril asymmetries are difficult to correct but its possible to make them more symmetric. Good luck with your search.

D.S.

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. It is possible to receive rhinoplasty for a smaller and more refined nose. However, it depends on the thickness of your skin and the anatomy of your nose that you already have. Results vary and you should seek consultation from a board-certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty or have had extensive experience. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Large shapeless nose

In order to have more shape to the nose you have to have strong underlying architecture. This is accomplished with implants and grafts. Also everybodies nose is asymmetric so yours can be improved but will always have a little difference to them

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommend Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon

All you concerns are valid, but feel confident that there are options.  I recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to discuss your options and expectations as well guide you through the process.  It is difficult to give you an exact plan without an examination, but I would recommend you consulting with a surgeon comfortable with rib graft and complex rhinoplasty procedures.  I wish you the best of luck. 

Karan Dhir, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Your desired outcome is certainly achievable. When your nose isn't in symmetry with the rest of your face, this is one of the most noticeable issues that you can have. Changes to the nose can be both dramatic and subtle; but no matter what, changing your nose will improve your overall look. Your nose must fit with your overall look so do not be surprised if you think that you need nose surgery, but the surgeon suggests a chin adjustment either as an alternative to nasal surgery or in addition to nasal contouring. Often, a weak chin can make the nose seem larger than it really is. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Augmentation Rhinoplasty

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your goals for more defined nose as well as improved symmetry are very reasonable. The limitations would be your thicker skin, and the current support your nose has. Ideally we probably need to give your nose more support in order to push out your tip, hence making it have more definition. This often involves using rib cartilage grafting as the cartilage inside your nose may not be sufficient for such support. Well planned incisions in the side creases (alar creases) of your nostrils can also help with some of the nostril width. I would also recommend dorsal augmentation to bring up the bridge of your nose so that it can match with a more defined tip. 
Please make sure you consult a board-certified surgeon who also specializes in African-American and augmentation rhinoplasty. 
Best of luck!Dr. Peng 

Grace Lee Peng, MD

Reduction of Large Nose

Based upon the photos you submitted, if you elected to have Rhinoplasty surgery then you would most likely notice a significant improvement in your appearance. Each patient brings a unique anatomy to the table and it is important to know what can and cannot reasonably be accomplished with nasal surgery. If a patient has reasonable expectations based on a good consultation then usually they are going to be happy with the improvement in appearance. Improving asymmetry and reducing the volume of the nose where indicated is something the surgery should be able to accomplish.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and I would go on complimentary consultations with experts in the area who will take your photo digitally and then show you what is and what is not possible with your nose.  Then look at photos of similar patients, compare fees and find the surgeon for you
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty

You can have the tip refined and made more symmetrical.  This can be done with grafting and nostril narrowing and revision.  Seek out a board-certified expert for a consult as to what is the likely outcome.  Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD