Is this belly button abnomally healing? (Photo)

Ok, i am 5 weeks post op tt and was told by my p.s that i have a belly button hernia that was always there prior to surgery..if this is true.. is it normal for him not to fix it during tt. Also top of my belly button looks fused to my skin and bottom does not..is that normal?

Tummy tuck belly button

It is very difficult to tell whether this is swelling or a belly button hernia, or the persistent shape of what you started with.  It is important for your doctor to examine you te determine if there is any additional intervention necessary at this point.  Please discuss with your PS.

Umbilical hernia

Hello Ericbella-
You may well have an umbilical hernia present making your belly button look asymmetric. I would need more views to really see what is showing. Many umbilical hernias can be detected before surgery and if so, can be fixed at the time of a tummy tuck. Your issue may also be exacerbated or caused by some additional swelling, so wait another couple months before re-evaluating it. But ask your surgeon first, of course. 
Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

I typically fix belly button hernias during a tummy tuck surgery.  But your belly button still appears swollen and may go down.  Give it up to 3 months.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Is this belly button abnomally healing?

Dear ericbella

At 5 weeks post tummy tuck, you have significant edema, specially in the lower abdomen. Give it time to heal, settle and scar in. Once 6 months has passed, you could consider scar revision if you don't like the way your bb looks.

Repair of umbilical hernias at time of tummy tuck is routine however, based on specific circumstances your surgeon might decide not to do so. My general rule is to repair the umbilical hernia unless there is a reason not to.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Prominent umbilicus

It is difficult to access whether you have an actual umbilical hernia (which should have been fixed during your tummy tuck) or if it is just soft tissue umbilical redundancy. A physical examination is necessary to give you a definitive diagnosis.

Arian Mowlavi, MD