BBL from out of town?

Hello All, Flying from out of town for bbl performed. How long is recommended to stay in town at a recovery house? Thank you

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Out of town surgery

It's rare that any American plastic surgeon uses the term recovery house.

The term is used extensively for people who travel to the Dominican republic for cosmetic surgery.

Recovery is an ongoing process that takes many months.

There's no appropriate set number of days, weeks or months that are appropriate other then stating that follow up after surgery is more important than people realize.

This is very typical Considering that this is the longest lasting investment you'll ever make, longer-lasting than any car or home you will ever have, It makes sense to not cut corners on cosmetic surgery. I can also not over emphasize enough the importance of follow-up care and the fact that complications do happen including serious complications. Patients who come back to the United  states with complications after medical tourism find themselves abandoned, stranded and in desperate need for follow-up care without anyone to go to. I have personally taken care of numerous patients with massive complications of come across the border from Mexico. When I've called their doctors phone calls were not returned. I've heard stories of patients who refuse being admitted to hospital's or are not given blood transfusions unless they can pay cash upfront. The following article may also shed some insight into the risk of traveling to certain countries for cosmetic surgery. This is not to say they're not talented doctors in other countries. There certainly are some equally as talented as those in the United States. Still no one has the same rigors and standards in regards to medical training and certification as the United States. Dominican authorities have shut down a plastic surgery clinic as they

investigate the death of a U.S. woman who traveled to the Caribbean
country to undergo a liposuction procedure, officials said Sunday. The prosecutor's office in Santo Domingo said the 23-year-old woman
traveled to the Dominican Republic two days before her April 23
procedure but did not disclose where she was from in the U.S. The clinic is run by Dr. Edgar Contreras, who has been the subject of
three other probes by Dominican investigators over the years. He could
not be immediately contacted for comment. The U.S. citizen is the fourth woman and the second American who has
died so far this year at Dominican plastic surgery clinics. They
include a 35-year-old from Hawaii identified who authorities say died
after a liposuction procedure and a 24-year-old woman who died from an
embolism in February after undergoing surgery to have implants removed
from her buttocks. Last year, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
reported that at least 19 women in five states had developed serious
mycobacterial wound infections following cosmetic procedures in the
Dominican Republic such as liposuction, tummy tucks and breast
implants. The Caribbean country, like nations such as Thailand, Mexico and Costa
Rica, has promoted itself as a destination for medical tourism,
so-called because people will often tack on a few days at a resort
before or after undergoing surgery

Mats Hagstrom, MD

BBL

It is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols. I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must fly back before 3 weeks post op, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon