Is Accutane (isotretnoin) appropriate for persistent mild/moderate acne? (Photo)

I have tried every treatment out there. Benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, doxycycline, tretinoin, adapalene, chemical peels, salicylic acid, blue light, and on and on. My skin is still almost always broken out, and there has been no difference in blackheads over the past 10 years. What should I do? Is accutane appropriate?

Treatment with accutane

If indeed you have tried the treatments listed isotretinoin (aka accutane) may be a good choice for you. It is the closest thing there is to a cure for acne with about 80% of patients having no further acne after a 5-6 month course if dosed appropriately. The trend is to get away from long term antibiotics. And, topical retinoids (Retin-A, tretinoin, Tazorac, etc) have their limitations in some people. Isotretinoin is safe and very effective if administered by a dermatologist familiar with the medication. I suggest you research who in your area regularly prescribes this medication and be seen for a consultation. Good luck

Saint Helena Dermatologist

From the little I can see in your photo, I would suggest that you are very likely a candidate for Accutane.  Find a local dermatologist who prescribes it.  It's a wonderful medicine that has made a lot of patients very happy.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist