5 Weeks Post-Op Blepharoplasty - Still Has Bumps That Are A Bit Painful & Look Like Raised Keloids - Are These Permanent?(photo)

5 weeks post-op upper blepharoplasty, I still have bumps that are a little painful when massaged or applied with pressure. They also kind of look like raised keloids, and are also turning dark. The bumps are where then sutures have been placed. Are these permanent? I am applying Avene Cicalfate Repair Cream everyday. Or would Dermatix be better? I need all of your helpful advices please. Thank you.

Scarring after upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)

I would consult your doctor as this could not only represent early scarring, but also an infection or an allergic reaction. Although you are still relatively early out of surgery, some of the areas appear red and raised. Your doctor will want to rule out an infection first, however this may represent a reaction (allergic) to what you are using on your eyelids. I would stop all topical agents and consult your doctor. If your doctor believe this is early scarring, he/she may want to perform injections of Kenalog with or without 5-Fluorouracil along the incision sites to minimize the appearance of scarring. 

McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture cysts vs inflammatory granulomas

It looks as if you may have a few suture cysts, which are formed when epithelial cells migrate down the tunnel made by the passage of the suture material. They are common and if they don't resolve by themselves can usually easily be treated - either by "de-roofing" them or opening the tunnel manually 9or as I do, with the CO2 laser), or by injecting them in some cases with a small amount of steroid.  True keloids have not been reported in the thin skin of the eyelid. Be assured that you should do fine eventually.

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Stop applying the repair cream.

Stop manipulating the eyelids and let the eyelids settle down.  The incisions are fine and they should heal beatufully if you do not messing things up by unnecessarily manipulating the eyelids.  Please be patient.  This need 2 more months of healing.  Time is all you need.  There is no keloid here.