23 year old with severe areola and breast asymmetry. What are my options? (Photo)

HELP! My breasts are making me so self conscious and ruining my self image. I noticed my right breast was not developing correctly when I was thirteen. My mother and doctor told me that they would probably even out by 20, and they never did. When I started breastfeeding my daughter only accepted my larger breasts and won't take my smaller breast (I'm still breastfeeding). I can't breastfeed without feeling disgusted. What would be best to do in my case?

Breast asymmetry

The correction of breast asymmetry is a really common request. The exact
approach depends a lot on your individual shape and size. Once you are
finished breast feeding, you should consult a Plastic Surgeon to explore
your options.

You need breast surgery when you are done with breast feeding

and having children... and this would include an augmentation of your smaller side and a reduction or mastopexy of your larger side at minimum.  Your goals and choices will ultimately determine what is done and also realize perfect symmetry is nearly impossible to achieve so you will be improve but not perfect.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Asymmetry

To achieve symmetry in the whole, we need to achieve symmetry in the parts: skin surface area, tissue volume, implants. This can be achieved in a number of ways, but given your situation, which is a very tight smaller breast with a much larger sagging breast, it will likely take two surgical stages to achieve.

Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry in size and shape

Thank you for the photo and I'm sorry for your grief over your breasts. You would have to wait several months after breast feeding for the best and most accurate evaluation and plan formation.  Your smaller breast appears constricted in nature. This is a very particular breast shape where it is "tight" and may need internal work.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon to address this and the asymmetry.  This can be improved tremendously.

Tim Neavin, MD

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for the question and do not feel bad as you are not alone as I just got out of the operating room with a patient with a similar situation.  The good news is that the situation can be dramatically improved in the hands of an expert in the field.  So go on some complimentary consultations and become informed how.

Dr. Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

23 year old with severe areola and breast asymmetry. What are my options?

For starters, you cannot receive any treatment until at least 6 months has passed after you stop breast feeding.  Secondly, breast asymmetry is quite common and almost every woman is somewhat asymmetrical.  In the majority of women it is inconspicuous.  In others such as yous, it is more pronounced and requires treatment.  You will most likely need a reduction on the larger side and an expansion followed by permanent implant on the smaller side.  You have to remember that this is one of the most challenging problems we face in breast surgery and you have to be realistic, meaning that you cannot expect perfectly symmetrical breasts.  The plastic surgeon will be able to bring your breast asymmetry closer to the normal range.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Asymmetrical breasts are very common among women.  You must wait at least 6 months after breast feeding to consider surgical options. I would recommen a combination of breast lift\reduction and implant. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Severe asymmetry

Severe asymmetry can be corrected with a combination breast aug and breast aug and lift. Please see example of patient below with severe asymmetry.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

23 year old with severe areola and breast asymmetry.

This is not as uncommon as you may think and there are options to get you to much better symmetry. After you have stopped breast feeding, let 4-6 months pass and then see an experienced plastic surgeon and you can get the look you want. But it is fruitless to go into detail without a consultation and exam as each patient may have a different goal.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How to fix severe breast asymmetry

With the degree of breast asymmetry you have, you probably have a variant of Poland Syndrome which is a congenital breast absence.  The good news is that it can be fixed.  First, you will have to decide what your ideal breast size and shape are.  If you like the smaller, perkier breast, then you can get thing even by simply reducing the right breast.  If you like the larger breast, then you will need to augment the smaller breast; and you may even require a preliminary tissue expansion.  If you want to end up somewhere in between, then something will need to be done to both sides.  And along the way, the areola diameters can be made the same.  Whatever you do decide, you need to wait at least  6 months after you stop breast feeding, so you allow both breasts to get back to their normal state.

Best of luck.