22 y/o, no kids, 5'2, 100lbs petite, wants a large bust. Is it possible to go from an A cup to a small D despite my small frame?

I had my consultation a week ago and my doctor said I can only go from 300-400cc (safely). It looked good on the 3D imaging but I just wasn't satisfied, I want to go bigger than that (also heard it gets a little smaller when it drops). Is it achievable for my small frame? Or should I just go with it since it did look good just not the big size I wanted? I just don't want to have regrets.. thanks for taking the time to read my question!

Breast augmentation

The ideal Implant size cannot be determined by height and weight alone. It is best to have an in-office evaluation so that careful measurements can be taken to determine the best size implant for your chest diameter, several upper body measurements, and current breast tissue. Once you have the measurements, they are all put together to determine the right implant from the right manufacturer. Breast implants of the same cc's can look and feel extremely different depending on the profile and material. It is definitely possible for some patients to go from an A to a D cup depending on their examination. For those in which it would not be safe, it may be better to plan for a staged procedure in which the largest "safe" size implant is placed first to allow the tissues to relax and stretch before placing the goal size at a later surgery. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

A to D breast augmentation

Thanks for your question. The bottom line on breast implants is that just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. The long term effects of large implants can be very difficult to fix.  Something to consider on your 3D images is that those simulations are without a bra in place. An underwire bra with your new 300-400cc implants will provide significant cleavage and upper pole fullness. This often achieves the larger look that patients desire without risking the negative effects of large implants. Good luck!!

A to D breast augmentation

Breast implant selection

You would need an in person consultation to determine what size would safely fit your chest.  300-400cc is rather large for your body frame of 5'2" 100lbs, and will liekly get you to your desired small D size.

Dennis Dass, MD

Breast implant selection

Dennis Dass, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

The latest generation of silicone gel breast implants provide more volume in a compact package compared to older implants. This potentially allows placement of larger implants in small framed women. However I advise my patients that larger implants can lead to a more frequent need for revisions. A detailed exam is necessary to determine the largest size implant you could have. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to tailor a plan for you. 

Breast Implant Sizing

Wants a large bust

Hello Preyli !

Everything depends on what your expectations are and after a medical evaluation as determined by your surgeon, it is important to always analyze what is most recommended for your figure.

Always to serve you, Dr. Manuel Ventura 

Certified, Plastic Surgery, Ivo Pitanguy Institute, Rio de Janeiro. Brazil

Manuel Ventura Gonzalez, MD

Wants a large bust

Hello Preyli !

Always to serve you, Dr. Manuel Ventura 

Manuel Ventura Gonzalez, MD

22 y/o, no kids, 5'2, 100lbs petite, wants a larger bust. Is it possible to go from an A cup to a small D?

Without a physical examine, it is difficult to say if an implant greater than 400 cc in size would be too large for your frame.  However, the implant you choose should not be too much wider than your breast/frame.  Also, one needs to take into account the laxity and/or tightness of your skin, breast tissue, and muscle (if the implant is being placed under it).  Remember that the larger the implant the higher the risk of a capsular contracture.  Work with your surgeon, but if you are uncertain as to their assessment, it is always your right to get a second opinion.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Implant size petite, 3D imaging

Be really careful going too large with your implant choice. What looks good now may stretch and thin the tissues over time and move downward. "Personal bias" of the surgeon may be more of a reflection of the long-term consequences of choosing too large of an implant and not a personal judgement of whether implants are "too big" or not.

When choosing implants, it is important that the base diameter of the implant fits within the base diameter of the breast width. Once the optimal diameter of the implant  is established, extra volume can be added using higher profile implants. With any patient there is a limit to how much volume you can fit into the breast and still stay within the appropriate width for your breast.   The 3-D software is really good at stimulating this.  

Implant size petite, 3D imaging

End Result Expectations

Thank you for reaching out. It is always the goal of a surgeon to get you an end result you are going to love, the exact result you wanted. With that being said, measurements and skin elasticity play a large role. You do not want to go too big on a small frame, and its hard to match exact cup size. I would suggest you visit a few experienced board certified surgeons and bring in a few "goal photos" You do have a very small frame, but suggested cc's sizes are best determined with an in person consultation. Best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

End Result Expectations

Unsatisfied

If you were not pleased with the consultation or the volume then it is reasonable to seek another opinion. That being said recommendations on what would be a "reasonable" size implant will depend on your measurements and tissue characteristics. If multiple plastic surgeons are recommending 300-400 cc then it may be worth to reconsider the aesthetic that you are trying for.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfied

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Use external sizers

with unlined bras and see what volume you need to make you happy.  Then with your desired volume, the appropriate style of implant can be selected.  If there is a profile/style that will fit on your chest and provide you the volume you desire, you can have it.  Surgeons may try to dissuade you with their own personal biases but in the end, you should choose what you want, being fully informed of the risks and benefits.  Whatever implant sizer you like, 10% should be added to that for implant volume or you will look smaller than what you did with your sizer on.  This has worked for me for 20+ years but there are critics out there, and most of them own a 3D imaging system.

Use external sizers