2 weeks post op rhinoplasty. My nose is wider, bulbous and has no definition. Please help!

I recently had a rhinoplasty procedure about 2 weeks ago. I am concerned because it seemes as the bridge is wider and there is no definition of my bridge .Also, my tip seems bulbous and wider , I don't know if this is part of the healing process or if this is what to expect. My nose looks pretty big. Is there significant change within the next few months? Do I need to consider a revision?

Dear jejeyYou need to wait at least 6-7 weeks before beginning to be concerned. You are rather swollen at 2 weeks. Give it time.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post op

The swelling you are describing is expected at 2 weeks.  I think it's too early to make any assumptions about the final outcome.  You will have to be patient and wait for the swelling to go down.  In a few months, most of the swelling will have gone down.  It is hard but know that it will get better with time.  And be sure to follow up with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from rhinoplasty: evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Most of that process is waiting for swelling to go down. After your cast is removed you may have rebound swelling. The majority of swelling goes down in the first 6-8 weeks. Over the next 6-9 months you'll have gradual decrease is swelling with intermittent flares of swelling. At one year, you'll be close to the end result; however, the nose will continue to refine and heal for years.Follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments, so your surgeon can keep you on track for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks is too early to assess a rhinoplasty result

Hi jejey,Post surgical swelling at 2 weeks can be disconcerting to patients, but it is expected. I think that it's important for surgeons to discuss a possible timeline of swelling (and its resolution) with patients prior to doing the surgery. In general, I usually tell patients that at one week after surgery their nose will look very large. It is still large and swollen at 2 weeks with about 25% remaining. Usually people close to you will notice this, but not someone you've not met before. At 4 weeks, you and your surgeon will notice the remaining 15% and then it takes the rest of the year for the remaining swelling to go away. This is of course variable with respect to what was done and patient factors like thickness of the skin. Occasionally, steroid injections can be done to help with the swelling.
Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early postoperative results

It is far too early to assess your results, as your nose will continue to change over the next several weeks to months.  Be patient and relay your  concerns to your surgeon; he or she will give you an appropriate timeline of events to expect certain results.