How Long Between Laser Hair Removal Treatments?

Also, are there various settings on the laser removal lasers? I have a sneaking suspicion that the operator I have chose is using a lighter setting in order to get me to purchase more treatment sessions. I have been told on average it takes 5 sessions. The practitioner I chose says it is going to take at least 8. I purchased a GroupOn for six medium area sessions for $299 great price but I think they are going to try and sell me unneeded sessions.

Timeframes for Laser Hair Removal Treatments Vary

Thank you for your question. This all depends on how thick the hair is, your skin type, location of the hair, and experience and comfort level of the operator.  It is not unusual for hair removal to take 5-8 times.  That being said, I do not know the ethics of your provider, only that hair removal is not an exact science, and many factors play into good practice of hair removal. The most important step is to make certain you are being supervised by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon during your series for best results and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Laser hair removal treatments

Yes, there are various settings that can be used for laser hair removal, depending on the location, color and coarseness of the hair.  Five to 8 treatments are average.  Generally speaking, your results will be comparable to the price you paid.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

How Many Laser Hair Removal Sessions?

Hi Todd.  Our expectation is that you need between 6-8 sessions to achieve between 75% - 95% permanent hair removal.  

The number of sessions will depend on your skin and hair type, the type of laser used, the experience of the person doing the treatment and settings used.  It is possible to get 0% permanent hair removal or very close to 100% permanent hair removal, but your results will vary on all of the above.  

If you purchased a Groupon, then you can expect an upsell as there is no way to stay in business selling services at 80% off.   

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

The number of Laser Hair Removal treatments can vary depending on the area of the body treated

There is a range of treatments for laser hair removal.  I generally tell patients it will take six treatments.  You did not mention what area you are getting treated.  Sometimes it is best to start lower to avoid the burns that you have seen from other patients.  If you have many treatments most doctors will touch-up an area at a reduced price or for no charge.