Tummy tuck? Full or partial? Other options? (Photo)

I am 42 and have had 3kids via sections. I've always struggled with my thighs and abdomen ever since the latest pregnancies in my 30's my kids are 10 and 7 now. I currently weigh 133 although most of my adult life I was 125 but I work out now 3-4 times a week but still really frustrated with my stomach area.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thanks for your photos
The post-pregnancy body can be so hard to cope with, especially after c-sections. It's great that you're working out, and your weight sounds fine. Sometimes it's hard to get rid of the belly without surgery.
Your photos suggest that you may be a great candidate for abdominoplasty. This procedure removes excess skin between the belly button and the pubic area, and tightens the abdominal wall so that there is the effect of an internal corset. The mini-abdominoplasty is an option for some women who have only a mild amount of loose skin, well below the belly button. I see many women who have post-baby bellies like yours, and most will benefit from a full abdominoplasty.
Make sure that you can find enough time for recovery - at least 2-3 weeks off work.
I'd recommend that you consult with an experienced plastic surgeon. who can examine you in person and help you come up with a plan that will meet your goals.
Best wishes-

Base on the photos you provided, you would be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to provide you with the best cosmetic plan for you.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Full Tummy Tuck

Based on your goals, you may want to consider a full abdominoplasty.

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what your options would be.

Take care.

There is almost never an indication for a mini tummy tuck.

From the photographs it looks as though the entire abdomen as a problem with surplus skin. I can't tell about the integrity abdominal wall. The best result would come from a full abdominoplasty. I seldom see patients wear a mini abdominoplasty is indicated.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a Malibu tummy tuck which I invented. 

First of of all I want to congratulate you on your weight and your workout regimen. You are doing a great job! When you look at someone's tummy you want to evaluate how loose skin, how weak their tummy muscles are and how much fat they have. 

If the skin quality good, and the muscles are weak and the patient has excess fat, then the patient is a candidate for a mini scar tummy tuck. 

If if you have the same patient in the last paragraph but she has little excess skin then she is a candidate for a moderate scar tummy tuck. The incision is a little longer in this operation and you remove a little more skin. 

If you have loose skin and weak muscles then you are a candidate for a full tummy tuck. The Malibu tummy tuck is a full tummy tuck. If you look at the accompany video you will notice that the patients look really good in a bikini after surgery. They have natural looking belly buttons. I have patients in their 70's who are proud to wear bikinis after wards. All the patients wake up in no pain. After the Malibu tummy tuck recovery is a lot easier and quicker than traditional tummy tucks. The oldest patient I preformed this on is 80 years old. Recently I had a 64 year old who drove herself in for her 4 day follow up. 

I hope this answer and video will help you. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Tummy tuck? Full or partial

I think to get the optimal amount of flattening of your abdomen that a full tummy tuck would be required. A mini would leave the upper abdomen looking full and liposuction will not tighten the skin nor allow the muscles to be tightened and  repaired

Julio Garcia, MD

Full tummy tuck for best possible cosmetic outcome #plasticsurgery

Based on your photos - I believe you'd likely be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the waist and hips. This will permit reshaping of your belly button, which appears dilated and stretched.

Full or mini

An in person consultation is really needed to advise you if a full or mini tummy tuck is best for you. An assessment of your rectus muscles, skin elasticity, and fat distribution is required. However, in reviewing your photos it would appear a full tummy tuck would give you the results you are seeking. Having had 3 kids I suspect your skin has poor elasticity. With 3 C sections it's unlikely your rectus muscles are adequately touching. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck): Information

Dear Ms. Classygal01,

Thank you for your story and photos. Unfortunately without a examination I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

Based on your photos you are a good candidate for a abdominoplasty. Obviously you entire medical history would need be reviewed prior to surgery.

The SPECFIC type of abdominoplasty performed will be based upon:
1)your anatomy
2)your goals
3) your Plastic Surgeons experience

After pregnancy and/or weight loss several physiological events occur that can not be corrected with just diet and exercise:
1) the skin looses some of its visco/elastic properties (ability to recoil) from being stretched. With further weight loss or liposuction the skin will sag further.
2) the space between two two rectus abdomenis muscles (which run from your rib cage to the pubic bone) become larger and does not return to their pre pregnancy/weight loss position referred to as diastasis recti. This results in the abdominal bulge when the muscles are relaxed.
3) in addition a c-section scar can aggravate the appearance of the hanging skin because of the scar attachment to the underlying tissues.

Liposuction alone will reduce the the amount fat, however the skin will hang more.
Liposuction is often incorporated/included with a abdominoplasty to help contour the flank areas (love handles/hip areas).

However it is not advised to perform liposuction of the upper abdomen at the time of abdominoplasty for fear of injuring the blood vessels that supply the lower abdominal tissue. This liposuction can often be completed under local anesthesia several months after healing of the abdominal incision.

I recommend that you:
1) make a list of your questions
2) make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Body Contouring

You would be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of the entire torso.  This will give you the best shape possible by addressing all three layers: muscle, fat, and skin.  Go visit a few surgeons expert in body contouring.  Certification by the ABPS and membership with the ASAPS are important too.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS