What is my best surgical FTM top surgery approach? (Photos)

Hello, I am pre testosterone and worried about the scaring provided I am able to get top surgery. I'm looking for something that will give minimal scarring, and the most natural looking chest. I've done some research and am interested in the peri-areolar / circumareolar technique and was wondering if I would be an alright candidate for it. (I am also anticipating my chest to change/morph a bit once I start taking testosterone and working out more)

FTM top surgery

Although there are many techniques for top surgery, it does have to be individualized to each person.  A double incision method will remove all excess skin and give a masculine contour to the chest.  

Candidate for peri-areolar technique

Honestly, at your current breast size, I don't think the periareolar method would do a very good job at making the masculine contour you want.  Although it has more scarring, the double-incision method would be more effective.

Best approach

Your breasts are of sufficient size that some skin will need to be removed. You do not have breast sag, so a double incision approach will leave scars that are high on your chest. A better approach is to use the comma technique, also called a lollipop technique.

Mastectomy for transgender men is a procedure that eliminates the breast by removing excess skin and most of the breast tissue. I utilize 5 different procedures and the procedure that is best for you will depend on your body size, your breast size, and the family history of breast cancer. We will make that determination during your consultation. This is a 3 hour outpatient procedure with a 14 day recovery off work, longer if you have a physical–type job. I recommend 4 weeks away from heavy pushing, pulling or lifting.  

We follow the standards of care for transgender healthcare established by WPATH. For gender confirmation surgery (non-genital), a single report from an experienced therapist is necessary. Our patient must be comfortable with the male lifestyle and have a recommendation from a Psychologist or similar licensed professional, demonstrating his commitment to the permanent physical alteration of his body with documented therapy. We also require a letter documenting hormone therapy if hormones are taken.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Best Procedure For Chest Masculinization

Hello and Thank you for your questions. I agree that less visible scars is a priority. In your specific case, the option of removing only excess breast gland and fat may result in loose excess skin. We would have to be very conservative and you may not end up with a completely flat chest. 

Skin removal procedure such as the double incision mastectomy, however, have the advantage of being able to remove ALL breast gland and fat, but also removing all excess skin. Your chest would be completely flat. The areolas and nipples are also reduced (areola diameter can cause a feminine aspect if it is not reduced). 

I hope that this answers your questions. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon