How would you resolve the issue of large, sagging, breasts with large areolas? (Photo)

My breasts have grown substantially over the last 2 years (3 cup sizes). I hate how they sag and tend to gravitate towards my sides. Further my areolas are very large in proportion to my breasts and I would like them to be reduced. I am actively seeking a way to have them fixed and a surgeons advice on the best way to go about this. Thank you!

Breast reduction surgery

i agree with several others who note that you actually have a beautiful breast shape that many patients are trying to achieve surgically. The type of scarring involved to do much for you is something to really consider. I would suggest that maybe some breast liposuction could do some modest improvement now and defer more extensive surgery down the road.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

How to fix saggy big breasts with large areolas in Los Angeles

Hi and thanks for the question. From you photo, your breasts are not technically saggy, although you're raising your arms so its difficult to ascertain the true amount of ptosis you have. Reducing the size would require a formal breast reduction, which would also address the large areolas. This involves considerable scarring, which you would need to consider.  Alternatively, you may want to consider doing an areolar reduction with modest liposuction. This would address both your volume issue and areolar size issue, while minimizing the amount of visible scar.  This procedure is not as powerful as a breast reduction, however, so your expectations should not be as high as with a breast reduction. I suggest reviewing these options with a board certified plastic surgeon who has sound experience in breast surgery. Best,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast reduction for breast rejuvenation

Based on your self-description, a breast reduction procedure would reduce the size of your breasts and areolar diameter, lift and shape the breast and reduce breast weight overall. There are a variety of scar patterns that are used - we prefer the vertical breast technique.

How would you resolve the issue of large, sagging, breasts with large areolas?

In your photo, your breasts are not looking like they are very ptotic (that is, overhanging), and so a periareolar areolar reduction with just a circular scar might be a good option. If you want a mild reduction in size as well, liposuction reduction might be a good choice, as it would save the more extensive scars of a full reduction (the vertical scar and the scar in the inframammary crease). However, if you are looking for a more significant reduction in size and a more significant lift, then a standard reduction with the anchor scar pattern would be recommended. 

A circumferential areola reduction is the place to start. Your arms are raised in the photo artificially lifting your breasts so it is not possible to comment on whether a lift is needed or what type of lift. If a lift is not necessary and you want a volume reductiion, that can sometimes be accomplished with liposuction, so minimal scarring. See a consultant for specific answers, as it takes an examination before a true plan of treatment can be established. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

In the photo you have your arms raised which probably covers some of the droopiness of your breast but overall they look rather aesthetic to me.  Your areolae are somewhat widened and you have to decide whether a periareolar incision which is possibly going to stretch and be somewhat visible would be a worthwhile trade-off to accomplish a narrower areolar diameter and slight elevation of your nipple position.  I am guessing that you are about 19 years old and your breasts may not have stop growing at this stage.  Any benefit of surgery at this stage may be reversed if your breasts continue to grow and your skin stretches.
Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and consider waiting until you are in your early 20s to proceed.

Jon A. Perlman, MD