Is it normal for breast to feel swollen?

I am 3 weeks post off from a BA and everything has been good. The only thing that popped up is that a couple of days ago my right breast feels swollen. If I took a picture it looks normal. The only reason I am concerned is that the implant gets a little tighter and squeezes up and my upper breast feels swollen and if you felt it you can feel it's bigger too. Is this anything to be concerned about. Doctors office says I just might be overdoing it. It went away for a day and is back tonight again.

Is it normal for breast to feel swollen three weeks after BA?

Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations without a complete medical history and physical examination.  It would not be uncommon for a person to have swelling for a few months after breast augmentation.  When one of my patients describes swelling that seems to come and go and a feeling of tightness it usually represents muscle spasms.  The muscles are still in the process of getting acclimated to the implants and they can tighten up or spasm at times.  Sometimes this occurs randomly or at other times after exertion.  This usually subsides as the healing continues.  Please keep in contact with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  Good luck.

Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal for breast to feel swollen after breast implants?

An asymmetrical swelling and tenderness can indicate a hematoma or bleeding.  Usually this is accompanied by very significant pain and a feeling of tightness.  However I suggested she see her plastic for an examination to make certain that you do not have a hematoma.

Breast augmentation recovery

At three weeks you may have some swelling and tightness still, especially if it is with your dominant arm.  Resting the area should help. If it continues or worsens, visit your surgeon for an examination.  

Camille Cash, MD

Recovery Timeline

At three weeks you can still expect to have some swelling and tightness as well as sensitivity or slightly sore breasts. Increased activity and arm movement could increase that. Muscle spasms are common for the first couple of months post op and your breasts may be slightly more sensitive or swollen during menstruation. If you note that you have significant, sudden, increased swelling at this point that is cause for concern and is unexpected. Best to be examined in person and make sure you are healing well.

All the best

"swelliing" 3 weeks post op

You are likely experiencing muscle spasms which is causing the implant to pull upward and give the upper pole a fuller appearance.   This should relax and settle down.  Follow-up with your surgeon as needed.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - intermittent swelling after 3 weeks

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Please contact your surgeon's office again and arrange to be seen this wekk.
  • It may be unimportant but any change like this after a breast augmentation means - see your surgeon.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.