Is this necrosis? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck 6 weeks ago and had amazing results with great recovery. I had a small seroma that required one draining and besides normal swelling and discomfort have not noticed any problems till now. I have a small spot that appears as a scab when dry and softens when wet with a purple discolouration around it and wondering if it's skin necrosis ? I have had it now a couple weeks and doesn't seem to improve but is not painful. I'm Picture shown is right out of shower. Non smoker and healthy

Question of Necrosis

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you are worried or concerned it is always best to visit your surgeon and have the area examined to make sure that everything is progressing as it should.

Stitch

Though an examination is needed, it looks like you have a small stitch access needing drainage, so see your surgeon

Dr Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Is this necrosis?

This may be a small area of wound separation that may be related to a suture at that site.

Is this necrosis after tummy tuck?

No, what you are experiencing is very likely a suture related problem, not tissue necrosis. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise and treat you.  Often, removal of the offending " foreign body" will allow for expedited healing of the area. Best wishes.

Necrosis?

Without seeing you in person, impossible to say. It could be a bit of necrosis or it could be a suture working its way to the surface. Regardless, you need to see your surgeon to have this assessed.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis

This could be a small area of necrosis or a deep suture that is coming to the surface.

Needs local wound care and possibly suture removal.

Is this Necrosis?

No, this does not appear as necrosis. Based on your photo I think it's a suture that might be infected and just needs your surgeon to remove it. I would seek an appointment with your physician and that should be a quick and easy fix. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon