How long do I have to wait before I can have breast augmentation after breast feeding?

I've just started looking into breast augmentation and I finished breast feeding my last kid about 2 months ago. I would really like to have the procedure done soon but not sure how important it is to wait until all the milk is gone.

Breast feeding and breast augmentation

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The defining parameter is milk production. If you have not produce milk for 1 or  2 months and you have recovered your prepregnancy size, you should be ok to undergo the procedure. the concern is that milk has bacteria that may endanger the implant placement. In addition if the breast has not recover its size, your augmentation may be under estimate, making the final outcome unsatisfactory.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Breast Augmentation - Breast Feeding

Thank you for your question. I recommend waiting 6 months after delivery or completion of breast feeding. This allows sufficient time for your hormones to stabilize and your skin to contract. You should attempt to return to your pre-pregnancy weight during this time. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination and to discuss the details of the procedure.

Breast Feeding and Breast Augmentation

I generally recommend my patients wait approximately 4-6 months after finishing breastfeeding before they consider breast surgery. After breastfeeding, the breasts can take many months before the glandular tissue shrinks back to its normal size and stabilizes. Likewise, patients can have persistent milk production many months after they finished breastfeeding. The problems are relatively low, but it is theoretically possible to have a higher risk of mastitis, or even milk leakage into the tissues. Additionally, the most accurate way to have this surgery is when your breasts are in their final physical form rather than in a state of flux, as this could affect size choices as well as potential skin laxity after surgery.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation After Nursing

I usually recommend a minimum of 3-6 months after breast-feeding to perform breast augmentation. Waiting 6 months would be better to be able to see the final result of the shape and contrast of the breast. This should be done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in breast augmentation.

#drrodrohrich#plasticsurgery#breastaugmentation

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Thank you for your question. Although there is no hard and fast answer to this, I think that you should wait at least 6 months, if not longer, after breast feeding to consider breast surgery. You want to make sure that your breasts have plenty of time to settle and return to your pre-pregnancy state before considering surgery. The longer you can wait to make sure these changes have completed, the better your results will be.

Breast augmentation after breastfeeding

Hello
This is a great question. There is no exact answer, but we prefer to wait about 6 months after finishing breastfeeding. This gives your breasts time to fully settle after breastfeeding. Most if not all of the milk should be gone by then, and the enlarged blood vessels will have settled down. You'll have a better idea of what your natural state is, and from there, you can figure out where you'd like to be in terms of size and shape after augmentation.
Best wishes-

Thank you for your important question.  Understand that the breast undergoes significant changes after you stop breast-feeding.  It is important to wait until these changes are complete.

In my experience it take 6-12 months for the breast to finish these changes.  Accordingly I would recommend waiting 6-12 months after cessation of breast-feeding before considering breast augmentation.

A good estimate of when he may be ready his once your weight has returned to normal and you have lost the fat associated with pregnancy.

Breast augmentation after breast feeding

I would recommend to wait about 3-6 months after breast feeding and ensure you do not have any milk production at all prior to surgery. If you are planing to have another child soon you should wait after that.

Good luck!

I usually recommend at least 4 months after a patient stops nursing before undergoing breast surgery, both to let the breasts settle into their more stable post-nursing size and shape, and to reduce the risks of a milk collection forming within the surgical area.

Between 3-6 months post breast feeding. Hope this helps. Best of Luck #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX