What causes the lines/bags under my eyes and can I fix them? (Photo)

As the question states, what causes the bags? I'm only 18 and quite healthy and don't like the look under my eyes. Are my eyes bulging?

Doctor Answers 4

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest a combination of fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP to treat this area if you want to avoid surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Lower eyelids

The bags or circles that you have under your eyes are related to your underlying genetics and anatomy of your cheek bone, bony orbit, and fat pads around your eyes. 

In most people, lower eyelid bags come with age, but this is not the case with you. Fillers would likely be your best bet for an excellent solution with minimal invasiveness and downtime. Be very careful if somebody is considering surgery, something that we call the vector of your eyes demands attention with your particular anatomy.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 104 reviews

You have under eye circles.

You do not have proptosis or eye bulging.  You have under eye circles.  There are many options to help these.  Fillers are generally the best option for this rather than surgery.  Ultimately, there is no substitute for a personal consultation.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. The bags under your eyes are caused by fatty deposits. Eyelid surgery can remove the fatty deposits and the excess skin that occasionally forms as a result of their build-up. I suggest that you consult with a single or board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.