I am having trouble deciding what size and profile to choose for my silicone implants? (Photos)

I am almost 5'8 and weigh 150 lbs with an athletic build. I am waivering between 445 cc moderate profile silicon implants and 475cc mp or 475 hp. I believe my breast width is about 14 cm. I chose 445 cc mp implants. The implants will be placed submuscularly. I have broad shoulders and my chest circumfrance is 83 cm below my breasts. I have been told a moderate profile implant if 475 cc may be too wide for my body. I am worried of too much projection with the hp implant.

Best Surgeon significant in choosing the right implant size and shape

I thank you for the question. There are many considerations to the choice of a breast implant. You have mentioned some key measurements in deciding on the dimension (445-475) and shape of your implant, suggesting round or circular implants from moderate to high profile (which provide increased projection with less volume for same base width, usually chosen for narrow or constricted base width).  You may wish to organize your measurements more fully in a “high five system”. If you google it,  you will see how choosing volume by base width are affected by other factors, such as skin stretch and  breast envelop fill. A physical exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  is crucial. In addition to these measurements and considerations,  he/she will check for many other physical attributes, including any asymmetries ( different nipple height/location, different breast shape/ take off – inframammary fold (IMF) height, and different preop breast volume). He will then judge how to adjust for these considerations and other variables to fine tune the implant size and shape.  Finally, he would be well advised to add that it is generally said that large implants (larger than 250-400cc, especially  >350cc) can have detrimental effects, including but not limited to thinning of breast tissue, traction rippling, palpability, etc. Best of  luck in choosing the right plastic surgeon!

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.
The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  
Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.
Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.
During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.
best of luck!
Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Choosing the right implant

First, realize that the difference between and 445 and 475 cc implant is 30 cc, which is equivalent to about 1 oz or a medicine cups worth of volume.  Not a huge difference.  In terms of MP versus HP the HP should be narrower with more forward projection, but again, the additional projection is likely only 0.5-1.0 cm more projected.  This is also not a large difference at the end of the day.  I don't think you should worry too much about too much projection.  You are tall and athletic.  I tend to recommend a narrower implant especially if you don't want the breast to look too wide.  Last bit of help would be to say that a fair amount of women will remark, after their final result, that they wish they had chosen larger.  Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

I am having trouble deciding what size and profile to choose for my silicone implants?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.   Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
 I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your picture and questions. This is often something that people worry with before surgery. Without knowing what manufacturer you are talking about in regards to implants, it is hard to give you specific advice about which implants to choose. You want to make sure that whatever size you chose, the width of the implant does not exceed the width of your chest. It would be my assumption that the moderate profile implant would be closest to being too wide, but it might fit just right and would depend on the dimensions of the implant compared to your chest. As for the difference in 445cc and 475cc, you are talking 30cc of fluid which is one ounce (about a 6% change in size). In the end, you are not going to be able to tell a major difference between the two, so you will likely be happy with either. If you are worried about being too projected and too wide, then go with the smaller moderate profile implant to prevent those problems. Best to discuss these concerns with your surgeon and come to a consensus though.