If I Have to Choose One: Voluma in Chin+Cheek OR Another Dermal Filler in the Under Eye Trough? (photos)

I find my appearance leaves me with very poor self esteem. I am 25, but I feel as though my face is quite "flat" and my under eye troughs are very prominent. Based on the photos, which procedure would make the *biggest* difference in bringing harmony to my face? I only have funds for one syringe. I need to decide, for now, between a filler for chin+cheek, or a filler for under eye trough. What is your opinion? Also: will the filling the cheeks possibly lessen the look of the tear troughs?

If I have to Choose One: Voluma in Chin+/Cheek or another dermal filler in the under eye trough?

Overall, I think you will see a bigger improvement with Voluma in the cheeks than Restylane in the tear trough area.  However, it may take more than one syringe of the Voluma if you are going to treat the chin as well.   The Voluma may also help the more lateral aspect of the tear trough.  But, I would avoid injecting Voluma directly into the medial tear trough (where the skin is especially thin).  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

If I Have to Choose One: Voluma in Chin+Cheek OR Another Dermal Filler in the Under Eye Trough?

In your case, based upon the images that you have posted, I would recommend Volume. I would inject your Volume in the zygomatic regions (upper lateral cheeks) to improve the feminine angulation of those areas. You should do very well. Good luck! 

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Voluma versus Restylane

This is a difficult question but I would encourage you to have your chin and cheeks done with Voluma first.  It will last at least a year and I think you will be happy with the results.  Best, Dr. Green

Face fixing on a budget

Voluma is not inexpensive and to get some decent effect in chin and cheek you'd need more than one syringe.

Restylane  under the eyes will give some nice improvement and remove some of the 'tired' look that you have now.

Enough filler can lessen the look of the tear trough in some instances but again, we're back at the issue of affordability. Voluma is the better cheek product because it holds its shape really well.

Undereye hollows can be genetic - but sometimes they are a result of insufficient rest. Stay hydrated and get enough sleep. Often we'll look tired because we are!

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

One Syringe

My opinion is that I would go for cheek/chin correction to begin with.  In my opinion, when you treat with Voluma, you correct so many other areas of the face that some of the other defects seem less prominent.

More important is for you to understand that no matter what your outward appearance, your real self (not a pun on this website) is the person living INSIDE that face and body.  If you look at, for instance, a picture of Mother Theresa, she would not have been a good choice for the most cosmetically perfect face, but knowing what we know about her, it's easy to see the deep inner beauty of who she was.  Take a look at who YOU are inside.  Your real beauty lies there.  Having said that, however, it's perfectly okay to try to look as good as you can outside.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Go for the eyes!

Hi Sarah,

I suggest treating the eyes first. You will see a nice improvement and might have a little product left for another area. Treating the eyes will also soften the junction of the eyes and the cheek which can dramatically make you look more rested and youthful.

I think you would like the improvement you would get with Voluma in the cheeks and chin also. So you can't go wrong. But I still think the eyes will make a bigger difference in you.

Hope this helps and good luck

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maximizing fillers

Hi Sarah,

Based on the photographs and information you provided (that you can only go for one syringe of filler right now), I would suggest treating the tear trough region first - I think you would see nice improvement with one syringe of product placed in that area, and may even have a little left over to be placed elsewhere.

I think you would see subtle improvement from one syringe of Voluma spread across both cheekbones and the chin region. Two syringes would be optimal. 

It's a difficult decision, but either way you can't go wrong, and as long as you are in the hands of an experienced injector, I'm sure you will be pleased.

Good luck!

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Aging, Neck, Eyes, And Cheeks -- Fillers, Liposuction, Lasers

there are many options for you.  I suggest a formal consult to determine what bothers you most and starting there.  combinations of fillers, lasers and noninvasive treatments will help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma to Help Contour

Your photos do show some flattening of the cheeks and the appearance of under eye hollows.  Both of these can be addressed using Voluma.  An experienced injector can usually improve both of these issues at the same time while injecting the cheeks.  For those with very deep under eye hollows, a second syringe of a thinner filler may need to be injected into the tear troughs themselves.  Given that you can only purchase one syringe now, I would start with the cheeks.  This should also help to lift and lessen the shadowing on the chin.  Good luck!