Are my breast implants healing properly? They both seem to be doing something different! (Photo)

Im 25, 5'6, 110lbs breast enlargement under muscle,silicone gel moderate plus,325cc. Surgery 6 days ago. Both feel tight and numb. Left appears not to be healing as nice as right. Spills more into my arm pit area, tighter, firmer, higher, slightly more sore. Been massaging hopefully correctly! Does it matter if I'm right handed? How can I fix this? Is this normal? How long until i get a more natural look/feel? Should I massage both sides differently? Can I massage hard with sutures still in? :)

Normal healing

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome. It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant. It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look. Be patient. Massage doesn't start until 8 days in my practice.

Are my Implants Healing Properly?

This is a very common question in the early post operative stage after surgery. Everyone wants to have perfect shape and feel right away.  In reality, as we discuss with every patient before surgery, it may often take 6-8 months or longer to obtain the ideal look and feel after most types of breast surgery.  You look great just 6 days after your surgery, and I would expect you to be experiencing issues like tightness, numbness, asymmetry, etc.. Ask your surgeon their protocol for massaging and manipulating the implants after surgery. Some may want to wait longer than 6 days. Don't stress out, you will improve greatly with time. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Healing

Thank you for your question. Based on the photos provided it appears that you are healing fine. The sensations you are experiencing are very normal. It will take at least 4 months for the swelling to resolve and all the settling to occur. Best of luck.

Early Breast augmentatin result

In general you seem to look fine as far as the photos go but you are still early in the healing phase.  Tightness and numbness are normal at this stage.  The tightness will resolve and usually numbness goes away too.  Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions and with patience I think you will find that things will settle down.