When does the Botox effect start normalizing?

I had botox injected above my upper lip 4 days ago for wrinkles and now I'm having trouble with some of my speech. Saying words that start with P's and F's can make my lip and cheek flutter. The middle part of the lip is numb which makes it hard to even lick my lip. When does this stuff start to go away and get the muscles back to normal. Never again.

Thank you for your question. Pronunciation of certain words and muscle movements can be effected depending on placement of product and dosage. Botox lasts approx. 3 months, in the mouth it tends to wear away a little sooner.

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
Botox typically lasts 3-4 months, but could dissipate sooner because of the location.To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox effect

You will see full effect after 7-8 days and it will last 3-5 months. For your case most probably it will loose some effect around 7 weeks but of course it depends on the dosage of the Botox.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Botox effect

typically onset is 3-7 days and duration is 3-4 months. 

I would suggest you should be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist experienced in this procedure to advise you properly and address your concerns.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Results

Rusults last 3-4 months but will start to relax around 6-8 weeks into treatment.         Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox in the upper lip

Although botox effects can last for 3 to 4 months, negative side effects such as the one that you're describing typically resolve much sooner. Of course, there are a number of factors including the dose that was used in your lip. In general botox dosing around the lip should be very conservative in light of the potential side effects. In the future, if you find that botox is not "agreeing" with your speech, alternatives could include either laser resurfacing or very soft fillers that can diminish the lines without significantly volumizing your lip.

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in Upper Lip

I do not like Botox injections for the upper lip. I find that the side effect that you are describing can last for three months. Best, Dr. Green

Hello PreciousOne53,

I am not a fan of treating the lines around the lip aggressively with Botox for the reason you are describing.  When I do treat that area I use only a few units to help minimize the risk of what you are describing.  The good news is, things will get better.  The downsize is, Botox takes up to 3 months to go away.  It begins to work at about 3-4 days and you will get your final result in 7-10 days.  

Botox can be very effective when used for the right purposes and injected by the right person.  I wouldn't give up on it after a single bad experience.  In the future I would recommend you are injected by a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or dermatologist.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Botox results last anywhere from 3 to 4 months. I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your skilled and qualified injector to voice your concerns. 

Take care. 

Botox in lips

Botox can be very useful to help reduce vertical lines on the lips.  These lines are dynamic, meaning that they are worsened by chronic movement and muscle activity. Botox works to reduce the muscle activity which causes the lines.  It is important to use a very low dose in this area to avoid side effects. Rest assured that the effects will go away with time.  Usually the Botox effect does not last as long in the lips as in other areas.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon