I am thinking of having explant surgery done, I have not consulted with a Dr on this yet. Any suggestions?

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 years ago. My implants were done 8 years ago.I am thinking of having explant surgery done just so my body has everything natural in it, I am scared though being type 1, sugars are controlled. Better sooner than later to have this done? I am 32 years old. Implants are saline. eventually these implants will have to be changed anyway right?

Explant Surgery

Removal of implants is a VERY straightforward and painless procedure.   I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - I am thinking of having explant surgery done

If you are otherwise happy with the results of your implant surgery then I would normally recommend that patients leave them in.  It is, of course, a personal decision.  You should (and will) do whatever you want, but it's important to understand what you will look like afterwards.  
If there are clear medical indications to remove the implants then that's one thing - but there rarely are.  Despite many claims to the contrary, there is little if any proof that breast implants cause medical problems.  And that, if anything, refers to silicone gel, not to saline.  There are of course exceptions, and each case is different and individual.  What's "right" for you may not be for someone else.
I would suggest that you meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons and go over what your concerns are.  If you decide to have them removed, that can often be done under local anesthesia alone (depending on many factors) or with some light sedation.
Either way, you went through a lot to get the implants in the first place, and you now have a certain (new) body appearance.  If you're going to change that you need to go through the same extensive process, and take into account all relevant considerations, as you did the first time.
I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Breast implant removal

Breast implant removal is an option. I have patients with implants for 27 years without problems. The implants can be removed under local with a little sedation. Your sugar would need to be monitored and checked before surgery for optimal results. Best to avoid drains if possible. A small incision is all that is needed for removal of saline implants, slightly larger for silicone implant removal. Any abnormality in the capsule arounf the implant should be removed. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

As long as your diabetes is well controlled, this is often a fairly straightforward procedure. Best of luck.

Complicated

Thank you for your excellent but complicated question. There is no best answer but doctors with at least 10-15 years of experience will tell you that endocrine feedback loops in the brain are unpredictable and breast implant removal has had unintended beneficial effects that cannot be explained and even reliable reproduced. So, it is difficult to say whether/not removing your implants will help you diabetes. Sometimes, patients do anyway. Just because the implant is saline (or silicone) doesn't mean that it will have to replaced anyway if there are 'no problems'.An experienced plastic surgeon can give you all of the options and his/her experience but ultimately the choice has to be yours. Best of luck. Hope this helps.
Leland Deane MD FACSNew York, NYGarden City, NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

I am thinking of having explant surgery done, I have not consulted with a Dr on this yet.

Thank you for the question. Generally, any board-certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will be capable of removing breast implants. I still think that it is important that patients pick their plastic surgeons carefully; factors such as experience and judgment do matter, even in relatively minor procedures.  I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Generally speaking, breast implant removal surgery is a very well tolerated procedure, often with very little to no discomfort associated with the post op course.  Also, generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed. Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.   The attached link may be helpful to you as well. Best wishes.

If you think having your implants removed will make you feel healthier than have them removed.  There is no scientific evidence to support this hypothesis however.  When I see a patient who desires removal of their implants that are saline, I simply remove them in the office under local anesthetic.  Be prepared for having some loose skin after removal.  If your Hgb A1C is within normal limits then your risks of infection should be quite low.