I had bilateral mastectomy 16 years ago with no chemo or radiation required and want breast reconstruction; my options?

Want to have reconstruction on both breasts now. My options?

Breast reconstruction

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many options in your situation, including tissue expansion, implant reconstruction, and autologous tissue.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast reconstruction

Your options are either tissue expander with implants or some form of autologous reconstruction. The choices really depend upon multiple factors based upon your overall medical history and anatomy. Best of luck.

Breast reconstruction options

Thanks for reaching out.  There are many options when comes to breast reconstruction. The two main divides are are implant reconstruction and autologous reconstruction.  Autologous reconstruction is when you use your own skin and fat from another part of your body to create a breast.  The two most common areas are your back (Latisimus flap) or your abdomen (DIEP flap).  There are other factors in your own personal medical history that may influence the decision of how to choose the right reconstructive option.  Since you have not had any radiation I would say that on the outset you have all of the options available to you. 
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon