Textured implants vs saline.

I know smooth implants are th softest type of implants but I have Sientra textured dual plane will I still get a softer result then if I had gotten saline implants?

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Textured silicone vs saline implants

Softness depends more on how your body responds to the placement of the implant than silicone or saline fill.  So if your surrounding capsule stays soft, it won't matter whether you have saline or silicone.  That is because all implants have a outer shell made of silicone. There may be a difference in feel between shaped (Gummy Bear) implants and round.  Because the gel in the shaped implants is firmer, these may not feel as soft as the round implants in some women.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs smooth saline implants

Thank you for asking about your textured implants.

• Your textured implants should after healing be as soft as smooth implants, once everything has settled in place.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Sientra Textured Implants......The Best of Both Worlds

Thank you for your question regarding Sientra Textured Implants.   These are high-quality implants and we have much experience with them in our practice.   These implants soften in the first few months after placement, and become softer, in my experience, than most saline implants.   Saline implants have a range of fill volumes, meaning that saline implants which are filled fully are firm, and when filled minimally are softer.  However, when saline implants are filled minimally, they wrinkle or ripple more than textured silicone implants.

The advantage you have with texturing is that capsular contracture tends to be lower and the implants tend to stay in position better (less bottoming-out).   Enjoy your new implants!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Implant Softness and Texturing

There is no difference in the softness initially between a smooth or textured implant of the same type (saline or silicone). Texturing, however, is designed to change the scar that develops around the implant to keep the implant feeling soft in the future. I have been using silicone textured implants for years and almost all of my patients remain soft and natural. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Best breast implants for softness?

Thank you for your question.  The softness of an implant in part includes how natural the patient's breast feels and generally speaking for many patients the best choice is to have silicone.  I personally nearly always use round smooth silicone gel implants but I have many of my older patients with saline implants who have a natural soft result if they were by nature good healers (i.e. without scar tissue) and had reasonable breast tissue thickness and skin elasticity.  Since saline implants do have a risk of future waviness or rippling if your breast tissue thins or is thin, I suggest to my patients the selection of silicone implants in most circumstances.

You do have many options and you need to discuss your choices carefully with your ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure that you are comfortable with your decision before proceeding.  Enjoy the video above for additional information.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Textured implants vs saline.

I think from your question you don't quite understand implant options. Both silicone and saline implants have smooth and textured options as well as multiple profiles. The best implant for a patient is chosen by the surgeon based on the patient's anatomy as well as her goal look. Smooth silicone tends to have the most human feel, textured silicone is not bad. Most, but not all, saline patients have a watery feel. That mostly depends on the thickness and quality of their soft tissues. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Saline implants are the softest feeling implants as long as they heal properly and are laced behind the muscle/ However, some patients feel that they are too liquid feeling. Sientra textured are excellent implants and behind the muscle it will be difficult to feel the difference from the smooth.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon