I want to go smaller and only had my implants done 5 months ago! I am miserable

I recently underwent Breast Augmentation, (5 months ago) I was a B cup and had 345cc Mentor Teardrop implants done. Although I am not past the 6 month mark, I am already miserable with them as I feel they are too big for my frame. My surgeon did advise me to go for a 390cc initially, however, I opted for the 345cc. I am 5.6 and 55kg in weight. Is it too soon to change them

Not too soon

You have a fairly large implant for a small frame- 5 months versus 6 should not make a difference in terms of timing of a second surgery.

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Implants too large.

After 5 months following your breast augmention, you can have a revision and smaller implants can be placed.  However, it is important that your surgeon did not pick a larger size to "fill in" the breast.  If that is the case, you may need a lift also.

Downsizing implants

When it comes to downsizing your implants, the sooner the better. Leaving them in stretches out the skin and the pocket. My advice is to downsize a minimum of 50cc to make a difference; on your frame 100-150cc will translate to one cup size. 

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Want to go smaller

You can go smaller if you wish at this time.  Generally, I tell women you will see a difference if you go down in size at least 50cc.  For your size, if you want to see a big difference, think somewhere between 250cc and 275cc.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing your implants

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.  The classic answer in patients who are unhappy with their implants is to wait 6 months to make sure that they are over the initial emotional rollercoaster that some patients experience with surgery.  If you are 5 months out and feel as strongly as you seem to, I think that it is time for your revision and that you should be able to proceed with getting an implant that suits you better.Best wishes, Dr. L

You may downsize your implants now

Hello and thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your breast size and feel that they are too big.  Did you have the implants placed above or under the muscle?  When placed under the muscle, your chance for capsular contracture is decreased and furthermore, it will give you a more natural and slightly more subtle look.  Regardless, the anatomical "teardrop" shaped implants tend to settle into their final position earlier than the smooth round implants.  If you are absolutely miserable with your current outcome and willing to undergo another surgery and pay for surgery, facility fee, anesthesia costs, and new implants, the 5 month mark is not too soon.  Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in revision breast surgery for your best outcome.  I hope this helps to answer your questions and best of luck to you!
Sincerely,
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Downsizing implants

I encourage my patients to wait at least 3-4 months after their breast augmentation procedure before they decide to upsize or downsize their implants. This is sufficient time for swelling to resolve, the implants to settle into position, and for psychological adaptation to the implants. At 5 months post-op, you are ready for a downsizing procedure if that is what you wish. This is generally very easily done because your initial pocket dissection and recovery from that surgery was done the first time.  Now, your implants just need to be exchanged with minimal tissue disruption utilizing your old scar.  I do these procedures in my office which keeps the price down significantly. The recovery is almost nonexistent. You just have to baby your scar again. Good luck! I hope this formation is helpful.Thomas Taylor, MD, FACS

Revision Breast Surgery

Hello,I'm sure you do feel too big with this relatively large and high profile device. Now is the time to change them. Be sure your surgeon has experience with revision surgery of shaped devices, is ABPS certified, and is a member surgeon of the ASAPS.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I want to go smaller and only had my implants done 5 months ago!

If you feel that your implants are too large, there is no reason why you cannot go smaller at this point...there is no benefit in waiting longer. If you were one month out, I would recommend waiting as your implants might seem smaller given a bit more time, but at this point you have waited long enough. Although many patients later wish they had gone larger, occasionally a patient wishes they had gone smaller. We have our patients try on sizers in a stretch bra preoperatively so they have an idea what volume they wish to add to their breasts, and we have them bring in photos to show us what breasts they like and how much upper pole fullness they desire. Although 345cc implants are not large implants, some of our patients do choose a more conservative augmentation in the range of 225-250cc. 

Miserable with large breast implants.

Sorry to hear of your experience.  Proper implant selection based on the patient's goals is so important.  I think that at this point you can proceed to change to smaller implants at any time.  Most all of the swelling and tissue relaxation has occurred so if you're certain that you want the change feel free to proceed.  I too don't use tear-drop shaped implants and would recommend smooth round cohesive gel implants.Good luck and hopefully once the larger implants are exchanged for smaller sized implants you'll love your results.  Incidentally, though 395 cc would sound fairly large for your frame, a 345 cc implant seems only slightly larger than the average implant for someone of your size and weight.  Regards, Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD