Can you give me some advice on sizing for a breast augmentation on small frame? (Photo)

I am trying to get some advice from both doctors and ladies who have gone through a BA on what size breast implants would be best for my frame. My main concern is to look natural and proportionate. Thank you!

Breast Augmentation for a Small Frame

For a woman who is a small frame, a dimensional sizing system is now becoming much more popular. Your size and volume depend upon your biases, your frame and your surgeon’s experience. A woman who has a very small frame and a narrow base width breast will have some restrictions on her as to what implants can be used, particularly if she chooses anatomic implants. Using round smooth implants under the muscle will give you larger volume opportunities than your actual measurements may imply. These tradeoffs should be discussed with you in your consultation. If your main concern is to look natural and proportionate, then a more modest enhancement will be something that will be discussed with you using both measurement techniques as well as sizing techniques in consultation with you and your surgeon. I do the sizing myself in all of my consultations so that patients have a full opportunity to discuss the tradeoffs that occur with each different implant style. Because I offer more than one style, I enable my patients to become “an expert” in both their breast and their implant options.

Of course adding fat to your implant breast augmentation is another option using a Brava technique to expand your tissues. You and I may discuss serially adding fat to your breasts that will be yours forever and will never need an implant replacement. These opportunities are now much more common for a woman who wants to be “proportionate” and wishes to have the naturalness of her own fat over the long term. For a woman who has already had two children she may commonly find that her breasts are very saggy from pregnancies and breastfeeding.

Having a breast augmentation may give you some nipple repositioning but if the nipple position is below your fold you may need a lift at the same time. Should you get pregnant again with implants under your muscle, there is no interruption of your breast from the nipple connection. The milk ducts go right to the nipple and the implant is placed behind the muscle so there is no negative consequence. Having the implant in your breast under the muscle has no difficulty with you breastfeeding if you didn’t have breastfeeding problems to begin with. The discussion of these particular elements are undertaken at the time of my consultation with my patients, especially if they have not yet completed their fertility so none of their options are foreclosed.

Breast Augmentation for a Small Frame

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes! Breast augmentation can be tailored to your frame--communication of your desired size to your surgeon is key

Breast augmentation can be tailored to your frame--communication of your desired size to your chosen surgeon is key.
I think that communication is key at the time of your consultation with a plastic surgeon.
I perform a thorough history, which means we discuss your desires, the"health" of your breasts and any changes that may have occurred, as life proceeds-puberty changes, weight changes, pregnancy changes and so forth.
It is good for you to perhaps bring some photos of breast that look like yours -- in a before picture --- and then breast sizes you think would be acceptable to you after.  Visualization and communication of the visual expectation is key.  Imaging may be helpful.  
However, most importantly, it is best to have a thorough exam with breast measurements and an assessment of the tightness or laxity  of your breast skin, the amount of breast tissue you have, the symmetry of the breasts, the position of the nipple and areola on the chest (high, normal, low) and the relationship of the breast to the position of the pectoral muscle.  
These assessments are imperative to success and so you need a complete consultation.  Then, a plan is made, and communicated to you in terms you can understand.  There are many options-implant options (size, shape, texture, smooth, under the muscle, over the muscle, and more!) and you need to have an understanding of the decision tree and then---what is best for you, your specific anatomy and measurements.  This is a very refined operation in my hands and I do not want to create something "off the shelf", but rather custom and tailored to you.  
During the operation, the pocket of implant must be custom made so you will achieve cleavage, natural fullness, projection and a natural shape.  You can be "sized" with different sizers of various "volumes" or "cc" to determine what is the best to create the most natural, balanced and symmetrical outcome.  It is not a "wham-bam" operation, and as such, you may find the prices vary and time the surgeon takes to complete the operation vary.  You must find a surgeon who is both qualified and is your match in terms of style, technique and bedside manner.  I hope this helps and wish you the best.

Sizing for breast implants

My advice is two fold- firstly, keep your anticipated breast size relatively proportionate as petit women can appear overweight when their breasts are made too large.  Secondly, go over sizing with a Board Certified plastic surgeon, and see more than one if necessary to find one that you are comfortable with.  Some will go over sizing in detail, some will breeze over it and you wan to find a surgeon who covers the bases that will make you comfortable that you will be getting the best outcome for your body.  In my practice we spend a good amount of time making sure everyone is on the same page- that is the most important part of the preoperative process!
Dr. L

Sizing for breast implants

Dr. L

Breast Augmentation for a small frame

My suggestion is keep in the sizes that fit your body frame.  Smaller frames need to smaller implants to gain fullness than larger frames.  All of this is described on my website under breast implants. It's important to know how full you want to be and what your breast diameter measurement is for deciding what's best.
Christopher Costanzo MD, Thousand Oaks, CA., Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation for a small frame

Size is best determined

by using 3D imaging or using external sizers that allow you to see what you will be like with certain sized implants.  You should choose the size and your surgeon should choose the profile to best fit on your chest.

Size is best determined

How to Select Breast Implant Sizes

In my opinion sizing a patient for implants can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time.

How to Select Breast Implant Sizes

Breast sizers

Thank you for your question. The best way to see how you may look following breast augmentation surgery is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and utilize sizers in the office as well as view several photos of previous patients with similar builds to yours who had different sized implants used for their augmentation. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Breast sizers

Picking a size

I usually ask my patients not to focus on sizes or numbers. Instead, I ask them to bring in photos of women whose breasts they like. It doesn't even have to be a before and after series, any photo of a woman in a bra, tight shirt, a bathing suit, or topless helps me understand the patient's desires and pick the implants to match.  You can try on some implants in a bra during a consultation, to get the idea of the feel and look of having larger breasts. But the actual size and style that looks best depends on what you think is the best looking breast.  Getting breast implants or any other cosmetic surgery is more about the trust and the comfort with your surgeon.  

Picking a size

How to choose the right implant size

Your specific measurements especially the base diameter of the breasts will determine a range of sizes for your frame by varying the profile, which in turn determines the projection. The general rule is that a moderate profile implant that matches the diameter of the breasts will be believable, and high projection more of a fake look.

How to choose the right implant size

Breast augmentation sizes

Thank you for your question.  The best way to truly decide what is the best size for your overall desired goal would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, discuss your desired goals and then try on sizer implants. 

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Breast augmentation sizes

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV