Lips swollen after Juvederm injection, Day 2? (Photos)

Hi There! I just had my very first Juvederm injection done to the lips. My Doctor used 1/2 of a syrenge for the procedure. I woke up and my lips are very swollen & bruised. The first picture was taken 20 minutes after the injection the second pic was taken the next morning. Does this look "normal" and how long will the swelling and bruising last approximately? Thanks for your help!!!

Lip Swelling After Juvederm

Dear MamaLuvZ:

Looking at your photos, the lip swelling after your augmentation is not uncommon.  The swelling and bruising will subside in the next 1-2 weeks. Best wishes.

Kelowna Physician

Juvederm Swelling

Swelling after injections is completely normal.  The swelling can last anywhere between 1-2 weeks and normally appears the day after the procedure is done.  If you are still very swollen after 2 weeks, I would see the doctor that injected you for a follow up visit. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Juvederm

This is very normal. Swelling after filler can take up to two weeks to resolve and generally appears the day after the procedure. Continue icing and sleeping with your head elevated.  Good luck with your recovery!

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Lips swollen after Juvederm injection, Day 2

Swelling and bruising are very common after lip injections. It takes about 2 weeks for the swelling to completely resolve so I would wait at least until then before judging your results. Some things you can do in the meantime are icing your lips up to 48 hours after the procedure, taking a natural supplement called Arnica to help with the bruising, and sleeping with head slightly elevated at night. It looks as if you will have great results! Best of luck!

Neil Sadick, MD

Normal Postprocedure Swelling

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  Icing is helpful for up to 48 hours after your procedure.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising, if present.  Based on your photos, it appears that you will likely have a very nice result.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Christian N. Ford, MD
Cohasset Physician

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I am sorry to hear of your difficulties after filler placement but rest assured these symptoms will all get better over the next 10 days.  It often takes up to 2 weeks for fillers to soften and the tissues to appear more natural.  In the meantime try reducing the swelling by using cold compresses to your lips and elevating your head at night with a couple of extra pillows behind your back.  You may want to also consider using Arnica Montana and bromelain as supplements.  Hang in there!

Some swelling is normal after a JUVÉDERM® lip injection.

It can take between 1 to 2 weeks for swelling and bruising to subside after getting JUVÉDERM® in the lips. By this point, they should begin to look more natural. If you are still not pleased with your results after 2 weeks, or if the swelling increases and does not seem to be subsiding, talk to your injector. Some ways you can help reduce the swelling on your own are to use an ice pack or cold compress on your lips, and to sleep with your head slightly elevated.  

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

Swelling

Hello and thank you for your question. By the pictures you provided your swelling looks to be within normal range. The lips tend to swell pretty well so that is to be expected. If you feel the swelling gets any worse over the next couple of days be sure to return to see your doctor. Good luck!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Brusing and Swelling after Juvederm Injections

Most cases of swelling usually diminished by the third day although swelling and bruising can potentially last up to 2 weeks.  It is quite common to experience this especially after lip injections. Continue to use ice and it should be better in several days but I would give it 2 full weeks before it settles in completely.  1/2 syringe is not a big amount and most people want more once the swelling subsides

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip injections

Swelling and bruising of the treated area is common, especially with lip injections.  It can take up to two weeks for the swelling to resolve.  Your swelling looks typical for Day 2 after treatment.  Some patients benefit from taking the supplement Arnica to help with bruising.

Camille Cash, MD