What type of doc do I need to schedule an appointment with for a nasal septum perforation? (Photo)

For the past 6 months I have had scabbing on inside of both my nostrils, anterior. I tried not to pick at them but sometimes did. I got some prescription cream after about 4 months from my PCP, it helped a little. I am now having frequent whistling from one side and not the best air flow from the same side and a constant runny nose. I need this fixed ASAP and don't know how to begin finding a doc or what type..... Thx for answers! I did have a rhinoplasty about 9 years ago.

Doctor Answers 1

Septal perforation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The first step is to see an otolaryngologist (ear nose and throat doctor) to determine what the potential cause of your perforation might be. There are some quite dangerous potential causes of this problem that must first be addressed. In terms of repair this can often depend on the size and location of the perforation. There are many different techniques and each surgeon will have a different comfort level and skill with each one. Possibly the only way to know might be to actually see different surgeons in consultation, unless you have a personal referral. I do have good success closing septal perforations, I have done a number of them without any failures, but there are some perforations which I do not attempt given their size and or location. Best of luck to you.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.